Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Off topic a bit- Supercharged tow rigs??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody have a Whipple supercharger on there tow rig?? Contemplating purchasing one & would like some first hand insight.

Old 09-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RaptorRyan:

I have a buddy who just installed one on his 454 in his 1 Ton Chevy P/U. He said it came with everything needed to bolt it on. I checked under the hood and it was a nice look, with the supercharge being painted black everything still had a factory look to it. On the instal I think he only had 1-2 problem areas. (1) I beleive he had to drill an extra hole in one of the brackets and (2) I think he had to cut out a small square of the hood insulation as the top pulley was rubbing it, otherwise it went well. Once assembled he took it down to a shop near San Luis Obispo to get it tweaked/tuned in. I think he told me the boost was set at a concervative 5 Lbs. He added the kit to get more snap as he pulls a 38ft triple axle 5th wheel toy hauler with it. He just got back a couple weeks ago from a road trip to Idaho. He said he had no problems doing 75mph when he wanted to and he still had quite a bit of throttle left over. According to him the gas mileage didn't drop to much. I think he told me, towing he was getting 5-6 before and now is at 4-5. Sounds kind of... too good to me. Maybe his reading was takin on a relatively flat portion of the trip with his foot not really in it???

Rude Dog

Old 09-11-2002, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

I am contemplating the same thing. I have an f250 v10 and think I might be doing a supercharger sometime in the near future. I have a friend that works with a guy that has one and says it screams.

I had a ford lightning with the 5.4 supercharged and that thing had more power then I ever needed. I would guess it would work well. I think kenne bell makes a kit also. I am not sure which one to go with either. I want it to be reliable for towing.

Bat

Old 09-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

If you want reliable towing power get a desiel, it will make way more towing power than a gas motor ever will. They also respond very well to mods too. A supercharger is the way to go if you can't get a desiel. I was thinking about getting one a couple of years ago for my s-10, then I bought a real truck. When I'm debt free I might get a supercharger for my truck.

Old 09-11-2002, 07:53 PM
Range Rover

Bat,

What gears/tire size are you running in your truck?

Old 09-12-2002, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

TOP!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2002, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

tires are stock lariat, I think 265-75-16
gears are the wrong ones for towing 3.73

Bat

Old 09-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

I just bought a SVE 4wd crewcab longbed frontier, and it rips. I have 1900 miles on it now, and I can say it runs like a bat out of hell. Past everything except gas stations. 13 -14 mpg empty mixture of city/hwy, mostly city though. When I put the Raptor in the back you dont even know its there. That Eaton 60 series blower sure sounds good, and at 3500 rpm, hang on, instant redline. Big diiference from the previous frontier with the normally aspirated v6 that I traded in on it. Blowers Rule. Same applies to diesels as well, drive a new powerstroke, then drive a mid 80's version. The turbo makes a huge difference. The only thing is they dont have to buy premium like I do.

Old 09-12-2002, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

<<

<< If you want reliable towing power get a desiel. >>

I have a friend that had a supercharged Chevy 454 one-ton dually that he towed with. I took a trip with him one time (towing a Jeep on a trailer to the Rubicon Trail and back), and that guy towed at a hundred miles per hour all day long. Another friend bought a Dodge Cummins with an automatic transmission, modded the motor for more power, and then proceeded to blow up his transmission four times in two years, trying to keep up with the supercharged 454 Chevy. As for myself, I quit going on trips with the guy in the supercharged Chevy, because it wasn't worth trying to keep up (the entire 1900 mile long trip was a drag race).

The guy with the supercharged Chevy now has a Duramax Chevy though, for whatever that is worth.

On a separate note, I bought a Tacoma 4x4 pickup with a TRD supercharger on it last fall. The supercharger was the one option that made the truck really worth owning, because it changed it from mediocre in the power dept, to very very good. For a gas engine I think a supercharger is the best money you can spend to get better performance.

3TV
>>

As you said the tranny died on him, not the motor. I still say the desiel is more reliable, a tranny can go on any truck, its how you drive the truck. Of course its going to blow up if you pull in overdrive all the time or if its overheating.

I see you have a Duramax too.

Old 09-12-2002, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

A deisel is not going to work for me. I just got my 01HD just about how I want it, and I'm not about to start over!!! Sooooo I'm hoping this supercharger deal will pan out! My only real concern is the reliability.

Quick Reply: Off topic a bit- Supercharged tow rigs??