Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Question about the Warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 08:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post, I just recently found this site, and have been reading as much as I can. My question is this: I don't see many good comments on the Warrior, is there a problem, or a general consensus that I should know about? Of course the reason I ask is because I recently bought a 2003 Warrior, and now I am worried that maybe I am in for some hassles. Everything that I heard was that this is a dependable quad. I drove many different quads, and this wasn't necessarily my favorite, but pretty close. And it did have all the options that I wanted. So far I have ridden it only a few times and it seems to take a beating well, and is quick enough for me. Someone please tell me that everyone is bias, and I bought a good bike! Thanks.

Old 09-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

i think the warrior is awesome and very dependable, just out dated.

Old 09-17-2002, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Relax...The Warrior still rocks. you ride that machine as hard as you can...when you need more...mod it.

recommended mods (in order)
air-filter: the stock set-up is crap...check out pro-flo
Handlebars: stockers promote sitting down...get off the seat!
Tires: stockers have to much roll...some maxxis or ITP will change the performance in turns greatly!
Shocks: by the time you wear out your tires those front shocks will be done...you'll know this when they get real soft ealry in your ride. works makes good/affordable replacements.

once you've done the above...you'll be handling better and you'll probably be looking for more power.

pipe: whiteBrothers e-series
rejet:
Motoforce airbox lid: increase lung capacity

anyways...you bought a great quad with a long history of reliability...that means everything when your out on trails. every quad will need modds sooner or later...and evrything i mentioned can be added piece by piece and is affordable.

i own a raptor (MX) and a warrior (trails) lately...the warriors been getting more seat time and it puts a smile on my face everytime.

Old 09-17-2002, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

I love my warrior. It had been stolen and recovered, but was totalled. I had to rebuild the entire bike and now i beat my buddies big bore 400ex when all i did was minimal engine mods and just about every mod recently mentioned in this post. my only gripe is the carb it is my next mod, it is constantly needing to be cleaned.

GOT SAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-17-2002, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

I absolutely love my '02 Warrior! So does just about anybody I ride with; male, female, MC or quad. It goes anywhere I ask it to, dependably. My handle may imply that I ride mostly dunes (somebody else tagged me with it after going to the coast ONE time), fact o' the matter is, I ride mostly mountain trails, anyplace wide enough (and some that technically aren't), rocks, water, ruts, roots, cliffs, trees, you name it, and it can keep right up with the big dogs, no problem! As mentioned above, though, for even better performance, you'll be wanting to make some mods, probably soon. I noticed the biggest power difference when I put my White Brothers E-Series pipe on along with an after market filter system and modifying the airbox. Also changed the front sprocket, and got a Dynojet. Puttin' the jet on this weekend, since the woods are still closed.

The stock skid plate is pretty weanie.

Piece by piece it keeps getting better and better! Still need a good skid plate, tires, shocks, and a stabilizer of some sort.

It's a great machine, I'm sure you're in for a good time!

Old 09-17-2002, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

I bought my Warrior brand new in 1990 and have been riding it regularly ever since. It's an extremely reliable bike and very capable in its class. The only recurring issue I have found are the tie-rod ends. I've busted 3 of them but it's normally been due to rider error, so I guess it's really not the bike's fault.

Warriors are great overall machines. Enjoy it.

Old 09-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

the warrior is a great atv, I just outgrew mine and had to buy a raptor. The warrior held up very well for me the only problem that I had was a faulty starter relay and that was covered under the extended warrenty. but I would have to say a great buy for a first atv.

Old 09-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

The Warrior is OLD and SLOW. Translated, that means that no one talks about them becasue they are either too dependable or they're not the fastest. All the talk now is about the Raptor (and for good reason). The Warrior is bomb-proof dependable, has a cheapo carb on it that pretty much runs no matter what, and does nothing great but everything well. I put an ad in the paper for mine a couple of months ago, rode it around a bit to make sure the battery was topped off, then went inside and cancelled the ad.

After you break yours in, start working down Raptor660RNH's list of mods, I've got them all except the shocks and the list is spot on. Another vote here also for the power of the White Bros. E-Series, but it is LOUD. Enjoy the Warrior, you bought a GREAT bike, it's just not the "flavor of the month" (latest, greatest, hottest, baddest) quad. I believe the current "flavor" is the Polaris Predator or that KDX V-twin Kawi has. If I remember correctly, the Warrior is the best selling sport quad ever, which is saying something.

Old 09-17-2002, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was a little worried when I found this site and no one was talking about the Warrior. Anyway, this is my first quad and I wasn't too conscerned with racing anyone, I just want to ride the trails, and jump on the track, when it isn't too busy. So far I have had the time of my life on the track. I can jump this thing so far, and it isn't as touchy in the air as my dirtbike(check out my signiture and understand why!). Well I know I am happy, and the Warrior came highly recomended from all the people I talked too. Thanks again for your input.

Old 09-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Your Warrior will (unfortunately) last forever!! They are pretty much bomb proof. My problem with them (I rode a Warrior for years!!), is that it is just an old tired design. With all the new bikes out there, there are many better choices available (you can get a 400EX for the price of a Warrior these days). I think you made a mistake.