Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha VS Honda heats up again.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 11:46 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha VS Honda heats up again.......

Sorry to gather attention to a topic that doesn't directly relate to quads, but I felt it needed mentioning.

As most know, Yamaha seems to always be just one step ahead of Honda regarding the off road market for the last 4 years..whether it be quads or dirtbikes.

When honda releases something, Yamaha retaliates and by the time Honda catches up and announces something, Yamaha puts a pain in their side the same model year by going "one up" on Honda's latest release.

The very latest twist...........

The Yamaha TTR125 and TTR125L [Released in 2000] have had tremendous sucess in sales. It has taken away sales from the XR80 and XR100 models as well as the models offered from other manufacturers.

Last year, Honda announced that they were releasing a CRF150F dirtbike. This bike would go head-to-head with the TTR bikes, offering slightly better suspension, more power, and within the same price range.

The CRF150F would not begin shipping to dealers until Fall 2002 [NOW].

We received our first CRF150s last week.

Now.......Here's the kicker........

The Yamaha Rep called yesterday.

Yamaha has an all new TTR125 that has more power AND electric start.......for only $100 more than the current TTR!!!!......The current kick start model will get a $100 reduction in price....beginning immediatly!!

The new TTR will begin shipping in early November!!!!

Yamaha was waiting for the CRF release the entire time!! Perfect timing on Yamaha's part. They didn't even hint at this at the dealer show a few months ago. It made perfect sense for them to wait for Honda to produce all their CRF150s so that they couldn't go back and add the electric start feature themselves......LOL

I asked about the new rumored YZF sport quad and he said that the Reps were informed that new quads were on the way, but he didn't know if any were sport quads.

Could the rumored sport quad also be a waiting game??

Anyway......I found this to be funny myself.

I'm not biased towards Yamaha and not brand loyal to any brand.
I just think this move by Yamaha was a perfect example of business genius. No wonder everyone else stays at the drawing board.

What do you guys think about it??

Old 10-16-2002, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

That's killer info, I think people are nuts if they think yamaha wont release a YZF sport quad to compete in the motocross circuit. All good things come to those who wait![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2002, 11:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't realy have a comment on Yamaha genious but, I do like the TTR 125L and would like nothing better than to buy 1 for my two sons. The price is relatively fair, its a four stroke and looks good. Perfect for my 11/13 year old boys. Been eyeing those bikes for almost a year now.

I came close one day when I was at Chaparral. They had one with a pro circuit pipe and jet kit. With a good looking graphics kit for $2699.00 I believe it was. Might have been $2999.00. Either way I wasn't going to buy from Chaparral but I was tempted.

Old 10-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Could the rumored sport quad also be a waiting game??
God I hope not!!! If their waiting for Honda It could be a very long wait!!

Old 10-17-2002, 12:12 AM
The Facility

God I hope not!!! If their waiting for Honda It could be a very long wait!!
LMAO!.......Very true MOOSE.

Hmmmmmmm...........I wonder if Honda caught on to Yamaha;s thinking and thats the reason THEY are waiting???

It's a standoff!!!!!!!.....LMAO!!

Old 10-17-2002, 12:15 AM
The Facility

Hey.......Here's another one.

Yamaha announced the new Kodiak 450 at the dealer show in June. It arrived at dealerships just a month later.

Honda countered by announcing their new Rancher 400AT last month..........which will not be in showrooms till NEXT summer.

By then, Yamaha will be finishing R&D on the next quad to top Honda's release.......LOL

Old 10-17-2002, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

well said knowsalot bye the time honda comes out with there new high performance quad yamaha will have 2 ready to beat it

Old 10-17-2002, 01:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think its hilarious. Poor Honda. Anyhow, Now I wished Honda would have announced there supposed sport quad, so Yamaha could have already one-uped em!

RoostKIng...

Old 10-17-2002, 01:41 AM
Trailblazer

KNOWSALOT

I saw the TTRs on the Yamaha incentive trip in Hawaii this past week

its cool to see the baby 90 with a push button start.

during one of the rounds of free booze I Was wondering if Yami was gonna let us all test drive them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

the R1 with the flames is BADASS too

Old 10-17-2002, 10:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yamaha, without a doubt is the very best at "hanging it out" when it comes to performance. They are very aggressive and seem to live to "out-do" everyone. They have been A thorn in Honda's side since the mid-80's(probably before that). EXAMPLES: Honda V65 magna! (yamaha Vmax) , Honda 250r(yamaha Banshee),Honda BlackBird(Yamaha Hyhabusa), Honda cbr900RR(yamaha GSXR1000).

Just a couple of examples to show you that Yamaha,has "one-uped" Honda for Decades, and if you noticed ALL the Yamahas I mentioned are STILL in production, and the Honda's were dropped! I guess they just went back to the drawing board.LMFAO!!!

Anyway, Yamaha will always have my respect for having "*****" and giving the customers MORE than they expect!

Biggerisbetter.

Quick Reply: Yamaha VS Honda heats up again.......