Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Tire Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Tire Upgrade

I'm looking at 25" Bear Claws or Mud Bugs for my 02 wolverine, any thoughts?

Old 10-22-2002, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Remember that little bit of power and acceleration you have? kiss it goodbye. Heavy tall tires = massive power loss.

Old 10-23-2002, 09:11 AM
Range Rover

I need the ground clearance, I'm smacking my back diiff cover all the time.

Old 10-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running 25 inch Sur Tracs,they are 3 ply rated, so they aren't too heavy,but if you can afford it, go for aluminum rims to keep the weight down. ITP steel rims are super heavy, I have them on the front, and really feel the weight over stock. I was lucky to get a great deal on some rear alum. rims with reinforcing rings,and am saving up for the same on the front. In any case, no matter how light, bigger tires change the gear ratio, you will need to pipe, jet and filter to get back the power they will suck up, especially if you mud a lot. My motor was getting tired so I modded it a little ,spins the Sur Tracs like the stockers, leaves my son's 300ex in the dust on the straightaways. I know the mud tires are tougher, but 6 ply is heavy for a 350 autoclutch to drag out of deep mud if you get bogged down.

Old 10-23-2002, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

My buddy had 25inch Bear Claws on his 99 Wolv..... There was no shortage of power on his atv. But he also had a supertrapp muffler installed. I think that the Claws would he an excellent choice.

Old 10-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

I have monster tires on the back of my warrior, and they are real light. My 22s with about 2 inchs of tread give plenty of groud clearance for nomal woods riding but arent enough for the ruts 4x4s dig out. Makes me mad they mess up all the best climbs by putting huge holes on either side that cause my middle to drag. My advice to you is get some tall kinda skinny tires and a new front sproket with less teeth.

Old 10-23-2002, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Jakal, I think he may have a little trouble getting the sprocket to fit over his shaft drive.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2002, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

oh yeah, forgot about that lol. ermm get a sproket and make a neklace out of it to remind you why your first gear is 20mph [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2002, 04:03 PM
LMF
Trailblazer

I have 25" dirt devils and have seen no decrease in power. They are 6 ply rated. My handling has improved.

Old 10-23-2002, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

LMF,did you put the tires on before, or after the Megamax pipe and K&N filter? adding those 2 things, with the proper jetting,you would easily make up for any power loss from bigger tires. And yes, I noticed better handling,too, the fronts grab a lot better and you go where they point quicker.

Quick Reply: Wolverine Tire Upgrade