Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly alergic to water

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly alergic to water

I have seen the usual fixes for water problems with the GRIZZLY and tried most. But this weekend I made knee deep crossing and my bike not only sputtered but after that it would not go over 19mph. I drained it at the belt plug,very little came out, it still acts the same way 2 days later. If it was a regular auto trans I would say it was staying in first gear,thats the way it feels, good power down low but won't go over 19mph (goes all the way to the rev limiter).I will take it to the dealer because only a couple months old//// Anyone else seen this yet??

Old 10-28-2002, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

as long as engines runs ok, I'd pull the belt cover off, and inspect. Could be dirty with mud something. But a look see will tell for sure.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I will let the dealer have a go, then maybe check it out for myself. I would like to get the cd-rom that I have read about, the one that has all the manuels and stuff on the grizzly.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

I just had the same problem. Had to take the tranny down to bare and pressure wash it, grease it, and put back together. If you get water (with some mud, sand, etc.) in the tranny, it will stick with the grease in it and cause the clutch to malfunction. It is a pain in the *** and takes about two hours to clean it (at the shop).

I have "yet" need to do this to my bike, but have done it to the wifes. Mine sits a little higher with teh DD tires on it and have never sucked any water (knock on wood). I hardly ever need to go across any water that is higher than the top of the headlights.....but then there is that ONE time that it happens......and it's cleaning time.

Jonathan

Old 10-29-2002, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply,I had an idea it was something like that, but taking it in anyway. The water wasn't that deep but it did splash or wave over the front of the bike. The thing is that my father in laws bike was right behind me and came out with no problems. If they don't cover it, I hope they don't kill me on the repairs if that hard to clean.

Old 11-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

THANKS FROGMAN, THAT WAS IT . OF COURSE THE DEALER DIDN'T COVER IT SO I GOT MY FIRST CHANCE TO WORK ON IT.. IT WASN'T BAD JUST MESSY..

Old 11-11-2002, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider

anytime [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jonathan

Old 11-11-2002, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Frogman you seems to know about the grizzlys I have a quick question for you . I am looking into get a new Grizzly or a sportman 700 twin on polaris website they say the grizzly has speed limited 4 wheel drive what does this mean thanks

Old 11-11-2002, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

It means that when in 4 wheel drive, But only when the front diff lock is engauged, it has a rev limiter that will kick in at or around 22 mph.

Old 11-12-2002, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

that is right..... at about 22mph a rev limiter kicks in with the dif lock engaged to keep you from damaging any of the componants.

I like the polaris 700's engine, but ride with a friend that has one and he is very disapointed in it. With the riding that we do (pretty extreme) he has had his bike in the shop more than he has been able to ride it.

I have had mine in the shop a couple of times too, but if ya ride like we do.....ya end up getting SOMETHING fixed now and then. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I hope that you get the bike that best suites YOU and not one that suites what others think is best.

good luck!

Jonathan

Quick Reply: Grizzly alergic to water