ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Raptor snorkel question (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/79243-raptor-snorkel-question.html)

DSAPP 12-03-2002 12:36 PM

Raptor snorkel question

thanks SHAK...

so does it slide alot better now?

all the Raptor owners say the stock tires are too grippy.... but the Z400 has the same tires, and I don't hear any compliants about them

so, widening the stance must work..... just as maybe putting a set of Turf-Tamers on the rear of stock-width Raptor might work for better slides, huh?

or 400EX tires... they don't have very much side bite either

ShaK 12-03-2002 12:49 PM

Raptor snorkel question

the stock tires are horrible sliders, but the width has drasticly improved handling, I still would like new tires, personally I think the stock tires have impressive acceleration grip but, slide tend to be Very unpredictable, you can hit a corner 30 times the exact same waywith speed, breaking then trottle.
the bike will react differently 20 of the 30 times.

Tires are the way to go, and Ive just been to stubbern to buy a set [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

DSAPP 12-03-2002 02:45 PM

Raptor snorkel question

I bet Turf-Tamers on a Raptor would be a horrible choice for acceleration..... no bite....

probably 400EX tires would be the best..... great accelration and little side bite for great slides

KJMAXXX 12-03-2002 03:37 PM

Raptor snorkel question

Remove the snorkle (you'll have to get a filter for the crank case breather). Then cut the flaps out of the lid. Heres a pic of mine. Get rid of that stock filter with a K&N and the proflo adapter. Then get a DJ kit and remove the spark arrestor from your pipe. Big differance over stock

warrior007 12-03-2002 03:53 PM

Raptor snorkel question

I cut the back end off my lid from the flaps back and left a little on the side so I could get the 4 front clamps on to hold the stock filter. I jetted up to 160-165 mikuni and dropped the needle 1 clip on both sides, turned the fuel screw out to 3 1/4 and 3 turns each. I can still put the back end of the lid on if I wish using the remaing clips. I havent had any stumbling or misses at 1/4 throttle like my dynojetted friends. I am running a gytr slip on and stock filter..

My seat of the pants dyno says 3-6 hp increase easily and with most noticeable increase on top end

KJMAXXX 12-03-2002 06:15 PM

Raptor snorkel question

Your dynojetted friends obviously arent jetted correctly if they are getting a miss because mine pulls strong with great throttle response. The kit comes with alot of jets. Why not use them instead of riding it messed up

warrior007 12-03-2002 08:34 PM

Raptor snorkel question

wow, your shiz dont stink does it... are you the dynojetnazi?

Seriously though, I aint here for no pissing contest about you wasting $70 on a bunch of jets you aint using.

DSAPP 12-04-2002 11:28 AM

Raptor snorkel question

so what do you think the flaps were designed for???

anyone???

2fiftyX 12-04-2002 11:46 AM

Raptor snorkel question

Could of been for a few reasons. My best guess is to help with air flow and turbulance in the box.

DSAPP 12-04-2002 11:49 AM

Raptor snorkel question

how would restrictions help with air-flow??? isn't that why you remove them???