Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Riding stories with forum members..

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding stories with forum members..

As the forum grows with more and more A.T.V.ers many of us are finding new friends and people to ride with. Here is a chance to share some of those stories and experiences with others.

Old 11-05-2002, 01:44 AM
RIP Dear Friend

It hasn't happened but just once this year but I still get extreme rushes when it occurs.

Its always the biggest deer I have ever seen in my life waits for me to come down the rock road and seemingly waits for me to come at the right moment and jump out of the woods right in front of me and then he's gone.

After that I always swear I am going to slow down going through these wooded roads.

Chet

Old 11-05-2002, 04:20 AM
Pro Rider

One of my friends was out on a trail, when a small buck run in front of him. Rider and bike survived, buck didnt.

Must have been scarey as hell!

Old 11-05-2002, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Rob (RSO660R), you mean the kind of story where you wipe out at Winchester Bay and have to borrow a Honda Flag for your Raptor for the rest of the day!!! LOL..... just kidding, but I had to put that in here. I've met alot of good people from these forums. Last June, Rob and I (and 2 other guys) were riding the Oregon dunes, and we bumped into a HUGE group of riders all riding one behind another down a trail through the trees. There had to be at least 40 riders. Come to find out later, that it was a group of riders that I had talked to on this site. We met up the next day on the beach after the 4 guys in my group had just run full throttle from Horsefall to Spinreel (9 miles) on the beach...That was a quick 9 miles!!!

Old 11-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Chet,
The one that always gets me is when you walk threw the woods and you jump a covey of quail. That always makes my heart skip a beat. I never have had a deer run out in front of me yet (knock on wood).

Old 11-05-2002, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

RSO660R and chad 400ex....do you guys ever get over to Whoahink? Competition Hill? Horsfall, Spinreel, Whoahink, all of them, are such a scream!

It was starting to seem like everybody on this site was from the east or mid-west. Great to hear a local voice.

Old 11-05-2002, 01:00 PM
RIP Dear Friend

jcsact,

LOL, that always is a rush. It happened about 3 weeks ago in our woods because we have moved the quail into the woods since we have mowed the fields. I will tell you about the bigger variety of bird that's even more of a rush.

Now this is not a riding story but this happened over on the other side of Spurgeon when we were looking to purchase a large track of land that was for sale but was ultimately purchased by the state and was taken right out from under me.

This happened in early January 1998 we had all the maps out and decided to take off walking by the old log creek church to check the terrain. I don't know how many people have seen the old strip mining technique from the 30's through the 50's in which they mounded the top soil over to the side to get to the coal. They called this hills gob plies or glob hills and they resemble miniature mountain ranges and are very steep and some are hard to climb and you never know what could be over on the other side because some of these areas are very secluded.

One hill was very steep and while my father waited at the bottom I decided to climb the glob pile to see what was over on the other side, just as I crested the top of the hill I got one of the biggest shocks in my life and something not very many people get to see. There was approximately 75 turkeys that were in a small valley that was between the two glob piles and as I went over I thought i was going to totally loose it in my pants. It was turkey free for all and they were going and running taking off flying in all directions and then within 15 seconds it was all over and I couldn't see a one.

I had caught a flock of turkeys in a secluded valley off guard and apparently sleeping. In the almost, last 5 years I have never seen anything like that again.

Chet

Old 11-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Chet,
I had something like that happen to me once. I was Bow hunting in earlier October about 10 or 12 years ago. I was down in the river bottoms by New Harmony and the sun had just come up about 1/2 earlier. There I was in a tree stand, bow setting on my lap patiently waiting. Then all of a sudden I thought a freaken helicopter was crashing in the woods. Tree limbs were breaking; I could hear a woof, woof sound kind of like a propeller turning. I was in the duck and cover position, almost dropped my bow. Scared the living **** out of me. The noise finally stopped I looked around there is a turkey roosting in the tree about 20 yards away from me. That was the first time I have ever seen a turkey in the wild. Turkeys are a very clumsy bird.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: chad400ex
Rob (RSO660R), you mean the kind of story where you wipe out at Winchester Bay and have to borrow a Honda Flag for your Raptor for the rest of the day!

How could I forget man that wipe out still hurts [lol] Those witches eyes will sneek up on ya..

Dunescreaminmama yep we ride some of those places . Perhaps well run into ya sometime.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2002, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

RSO660...that would be a hoot to run into someone from this forum over there.

Have been thinking of getting a 2-stroke something for there on the dunes. The Warrior gets me around, after rejetting, changing my front sprocket, and whatever else I can think of to help the top end out....But, it sure would be nice to have a machine strictly for screaming in the sand. I guess I'll have to wait until KTM decides to make a quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Riding stories with forum members..