Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

twist throttle; good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist throttle; good or bad?

I've been riding dirtbikes for 23 years and I just bought my first quad - a 2003 Blaster. The main thing I don't like about the thumb throttle is it's hard for me to really utilize my front brakes. On a dirtbike, I always have a finger on the brake and that's hard to do when I have my thumb stretched out on the throttle.

Why do they use thumb throttle controls on ATVs? Is there any reason not to switch to a twist throttle? If there's some solid pros and cons could you fill me in?

thanks in advance
Jay

Old 11-15-2002, 11:21 PM
FMF
Pro Rider

Well I have a Twist Throttle on my banshee and I will never go back to Thumb Throttle.
It did take me a week to get use to it but I do like it better.

Old 11-15-2002, 11:34 PM
RIP Dear Friend

JCV220,

Hey that wouldn't be a 220 KDX in your name would it?

Chet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2002, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

In my opinion a twist throttle on a quad is a good way to get hurt, i can use the front brakes on my blaster fine, u just need to learn how. if u ever want to really learn to wheelie or anything like that its not the best idea in my opinion. just my 2 cents

EsHe

--------------------------
88 Warrior
Pro Curcuit T-4
K&N Filter
Pro Design Intake
Jetted
DP Racing Brake Pads
DG Alloy Series Nerfs
Duro Hard Pack Rear Tires
New Plastic
New 98 Bottom End
Fresh 88 Top End

99 Blaster
FMF Fatty Gold Series Pipe
FMF Power Core 2 Silencer

Old 11-16-2002, 12:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

IMO,

They don't put twist throttles on quads because it is unsafe. Quads ride much more rough than a 2 wheeler. You have four wheels hitting objects not one then another. Climbing hills and then you hit a hard bump un expectedly or even expectedly and you jerk the throttle, over reving and a possible flip occurs. Less control. Those are some of the cons.

Pros, your thumb does not get stiff or tired.

Some people love them and have no ill affects from useing a twist. You may very well like it better and have no problems. I tried it and felt like I had no control cause every bump etc my twist was twisting. I feel better with the thumb and my thumb does not get tired or stiff because its used to it.

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-16-2002, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

I keep two outer fingers on grip, 2 inner on the brake when needed. After a while you will get used to the thumb throttle. I use only the first section of my thumb because you get mor torque and it takes longer to get stiff. When it does get really stiff just leave it locked in position and rotate you whole hand to push it in. Summary: the lower you use on your thumb the more torque you have and the longer it takes to get stiff, heck you can even just use the whole bottom half of you hand to push it in. I am kinda preprogrammed though, a thumb on a dirtbike would feel funny and a twist on a quad would down right bother me.

Old 11-16-2002, 10:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting a twist on was the first thing I did to mine.I've rode dirtbikes for years also, I do'nt know how you can brake, blip the trottle, and hold on with a thumb throttle.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 11-16-2002, 11:59 AM
Range Rover

Jcv - I recently put a twist throttle on mine.

Pros- No sore thumb or jambed thumbs. Better control when you get in those awkward tight right hand turns.

Cons - throttle control through rough stuff. As someone mentioned. High speed bumps will bump the throttle around, I also am just now re-learning how to bump the throttle to jump off ledges without gassing it again when landing.

All and all I think the thumb throttle IS better suited for quads, but I'm giving my twist more time to see if its a learning thing.

Old 11-16-2002, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer

I have a twist throttle on all three of my bikes and would never go back to a thumb throttle. I ride in the mountains over very rough terrain and you learn to use more of your legs for support instead of your arms. I admit, twist throttles are not for begginers. If you go to a race you will notice almost all the racers have twist throttles. The reason, thumb fatigue and most racers like the quarter twist to get to full throttle. It really comes down to personal preference. I raced motorcross full-time for 11 years and when I switched to ATV's it was a natural feeling having a twist throttle. Call Motion Pro and get one, if you don't like it, put it on ebay.

Old 11-16-2002, 12:31 PM
RIP Dear Friend

All I know is I am not going to put no thumb throttle on my KDX200[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Chet

Quick Reply: twist throttle; good or bad?