Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 08:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads

Can everyone offer their opinions on OEM and aftermarket brake pads. So far all I have ever used are EBC on the rear of my Warrior. I have to think there are better ones. I only use them because thats all the local dealer keeps in stock. They typically last no more than 3 rides. Mind you I ride in wet sandy, muddy terrain but replacing brake pads is gonna break me. My buddy started off yesterday with a new set bought off the internet (EBC) and they were gone the end of the day.

Old 11-24-2002, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Brake Pads

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I can't imaging break pads lasting only 3 rides... Mine last 3 YEARS.

Old 11-24-2002, 11:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Brake Pads

I am with you Wyoduner! I cant imagine that! I would think there were something wrong in the break system. Or even that, disconnect them, you dont need brakes in the mud.... Just a thought.

Old 11-24-2002, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Brake Pads

WarriorManiac,

If you haven't removed all the emergency brake stuff, I would. Get the rear brake rotor cover from just about anywhere for $12 or so. This helps. Or, if you must keep it on then don't use it, ever.

The 2nd thing is to buy a hardened rear brake rotor (Rocky Mountain sells Titan brand cheap). It is so hard that it will always be flat. If your brake rotor is grooved then it is acting like sandpaper and helping to wear your brake pads down quicker.

The 3rd thing is to switch to solid brass brake pads. I only know of one place that you can get them. A guy name Gary Box makes them. You can reach him at (601) 645-6076. A set will cost you $30. I find that they last at least 4 times as long as the EBC Heavy Duty ones.

/NotuRaptor

Old 11-24-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Brake Pads

You have a problem other than pads!!!
Could you be Riding the brakes?
Maybe you have a bent rotor.
Do you have your parking brake & is it adjusted right?

Take a ride & check your rotors, they should be warm but not hot. If you have a hot rotor something is wrong.

Is it all 3 brakes wearing out at the same time or is it a peticular one that is wearing out.

I had 75 hours when I replaced my factory pads with EBC's. I replaced them cause I was adding stainless lines & putting in Motul 5.5 fluid so I just went ahead & changed pads.
The rear was the most worn but it still had 1/2 the pad left. They're still in my parts box for spares.

Old 11-25-2002, 10:58 AM
Range Rover
Default Brake Pads

WyoDuuner - That doesn't suprise me, I don't suspect dune riding is as hard on brakes as the stuff I see regularly.

RaptorOwner - You are wanting to get me killed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] A lot of the mud encountered are on long steep hills!

NoTuRaptor2 - Thanks for the suggestions. I will look these guys up and give them a try. I have never seen a rotor cover for a quad. Can you point me to where I might find them? There is no doubt that keeping the mud/sand/water off the rotor will increase the wear. Emergency brake stuff is long gone and the rotor surface is not excessively grooved.

Moose - I could possibly be riding the brake. I am going to adjust them just a bit I have them pretty close. The e-brake stuff is long gone. Rotor is straight, thought of that, put a dial indicator to it couple weeks ago. Its just the rear brakes. I just replaced the front pads after about 75 hours. They still had a little life in them. Were original Yamaha and I replaced them with Yamaha. I really think I'm going to have to try harder pads or try to rig something to keep the muck off the rotor/caliper. The stuff I ride in is a mixture of clay, mud, and sand. This stuff is tacky and very abrasive of course with the sand in it. Wear is not so bad when the conditions are dry. It's not only me, a couple of my riding partners with Warrior and Raptor go through the EBC Severe duty about the same frequency.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 11-25-2002, 11:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Brake Pads

Sorry there WarriorManiac

I was just making a senseless comment. But yes they have those covers on eBay if I am not mistaken, and believe its a company called Haley Engineering that makes them.

I sure hope you find your problem and reply to this thread when you do.

Good luck.

Old 11-25-2002, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Brake Pads

WarriorManiac,

Sorry, I meant the rear emergency/parking brake blockoff/cover.

I should have mentioned two other points.

1) Make sure you aren't riding with your foot on the brake

2) As mentioned previously, make sure you rear brake is adjusted properly. For me, I have to push it pretty far down before it starts to grab.

/Jon

Old 11-25-2002, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Brake Pads

I know exactly where you are coming from WarriorManiac, I used to have the same problems with a Mojave.I would go riding for one, maybe two days, and my rear pads were wore out. From what I learned, EBC brake pads will not hold up to the severe riding you do in mud/sand/wet mix. I talked to my local OEM dealer, and he hooked me up with some factory brake pads, even though they were a bit pricy ( around $40) , that I never had to replace again. Just talk to your local OEM shop, and see if they can offer ony advice. I hope this helps.

Old 11-26-2002, 01:01 AM
Range Rover
Default Brake Pads

WarriorManiac,

Make sure that you check that the rotor isn't warped. I went through three rotors this racing season. Two stockers and one of RAD's stainless oversized. The stockers warp real easy under heat. The RAD one was my own lack of prep, I had a pad sticking and it just heated it up real bad. Once the rotor warps its constantly eating at the pads till you're out of material then it only gets worse. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads