Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Procedure for running Alky?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procedure for running Alky?

so u dont have to change anything to run alk.(plugs,jetting)? what kind of power do u gain on a 4 storke?

Old 12-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, this might be a dumb question, but I know everything on Yamaha's is Metric, so when I drill out my jets for Alky, should I use metric drill bits, or SAE?

Old 12-21-2002, 08:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Either or it doesn't matter. What does matter is the size.

so make sure you can trust the man you buy it from.
Have you, or anybody else, ever done a sake out on your alky to check for contaminates or the % grade you are buying? I can get it free, but it is for industrial use. Last night I shook some out to find out is was better than 99.5% pure, that is as small as I have the ability to measure to. I was worried about running it before but now I think it would be just fine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2002, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Not SAE or Metric, but number drill bits. You can buy a set of "number" bits where each number is a different size. They actually are equal to thousandths of an inch, but a 36 isn't 36 thousandths. Go to a local store and take a look at them. Probably have to go to a specialty store or machine shop.

Ward, I have not checked for purity. I did however buy some alky and had someone pour sugar in it before we raced. Not good on pistons.

Sandjunky, you must modify your carb, run GOOD plugs (I like NGK iridium or platinum), put LARGE jets in, etc. It isn't pour and play.

Old 12-23-2002, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

AlkyBurninX

In the past, all we have used in tractor tires is water. Anything that you have to pay for to put into your tires is a waste of money. Water is free. Everything else=money.

JaMeS

Old 12-23-2002, 03:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't kow why I missed that about the drill bits.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

There is a reason to run methanol, in tractor tires, over water but I can't remember what it is.

Old 12-23-2002, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Methanol don't freeze[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]. Since you only fill the tire 80%, imagine the bottom 80% frozen and try driving on it. They used to use some type of liquidfied calcium. Price was more than methanol.

Also, contrary to popular belief, methanol isn't as corrosive as water so its easier on wheels.

I don't guess you have much of a freezing problem out there in Cali though do ya?

Old 12-23-2002, 02:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I new it was something. Boy it would be heck if the tactor ever got a leaky tire around a fire.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2002, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Never thought about a leaky tire around a fire. Thanks, now you have me worried![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I do know that a simple spark won't set it off. Its about like lighting diesel fuel if you have ever tried that. This is why extremely high compression makes the alky burn cleaner.

Old 12-23-2002, 06:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yep, the other night when I did the shake out it was 32 degrees out side. When I finished the test I tried to light it, what a pain.

Quick Reply: Procedure for running Alky?