Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best Paddles for Stock or piped/jetted Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 06:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Paddles for Stock or piped/jetted Raptor?

General purpose I suppose.

To cover all types of sand.

Old 12-22-2002, 12:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

8 paddle V's. Just about any manufacturer will do for the V's. Sand skate 2's are the best imo. Edges are second. Sand Sharks are 3rd. imo

Old 12-22-2002, 12:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the sand skate 2's and like them so far.

Old 12-22-2002, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

I like the Sand Skate IIs as well. Oddly enough I have been running them backwards - yep backwards so they dont "scoop" and it really works well with the Raptor. Seems to let the motor rap up quicker and hook-up is not as aggressive (not always wanting to lift the front end). It actually improves the drag racing up the hills because I'm not wheelieing and climbing on the bars to keep the nose down at the start. Also, there is not a tendency to dig in - and the rear end really slides around nicely.

This makes me think that a less aggressive paddle design (compared to the SSIIs)would work better on the Raptor ??

Sounds like I'm BSing but it's true - try it !

Old 12-22-2002, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

SS II's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] they hook up a little too much for lightly modded bike so I flipped them backwards and had the same result as FISHER. I didn't have the sack to ride glamis all the time with the backwards tires so I got the sand sharks for slippin and sliding around. lost some some traction and time on the hill but they were ok. Now I have a 686 and have to get some SS II's again because the sharks just don't do the job.

If you don't mind the cost, I think the best way to go is SSII's and have them shaved by Sand Tires Unlimited. Or maybe look into Mini Desert Tracks (comp grooved)

Old 12-22-2002, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

straight paddle is the only way to go if you like to hill climb or drag. either haulers or kings turbo paddles. i just picked up a set of the turbo's but i have got to try em out, heard nothing but great things about them. there also only 2 ply and even lighter than haulers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img], there also molded and have a thick rubber rib down the middle so they dont wear as much when your on the pavement. i dont like v paddles you get less hook up and they spin too easily. i find you can slide and turn just as well with straight on the back if you have mohawks on the front.

Old 12-22-2002, 11:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you plan on making a lot of turns in the sand, go with some v paddles, preferably the sand skates. if you are looking for the best paddle for climbing, drags, or anything straight, go with the xtreme haulers. they are better than the regular haulers, and pull more than the taller haulers without the power bogging out. they are the best paddles out there.

dont try turning with straight paddles unless you have a 12 ft wide trail. that baby will slide sideways out from under you and spin you right around.