Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

686 Trinity Raptor Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 05:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 686 Trinity Raptor Owners

I'm looking for some input from another Raptor owner who has got the Trinity 686 Kit installed on their Raptor.

I recently bought a 686 Raptor used from another guy, and over Thanksgiving break out at Glamis I was repeatedly beat up the hills by my brother and friend's Raptors. My brother has the CT kit installed on his and my friend has an Alba Raptor with a cam and piston. Those two were running just about even with each other, but they were out running me all week. The 686 is suppose to have 63hp, but I don't think that mine has even 50hp. The CT Raptors have just under 50hp. I do have a Graydon exhaust instead of the Trinity, and when I called Trinity about the problem, the only thing they suggested was to put a Trinity exhaust on. They said that would make a huge difference. But it's hard for me to believe that switching my exhaust is going to give me 15-20hp. Dirt Wheels even dynoed the Graydon pipe putting out more peak hp the the Trinity.

So I'm looking for input from anyone, or anybody who might have had a simular problem with their 686 Raptor.

Thanks

Old 01-01-2003, 06:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Call Curtis Sparks out of california. Hands down the fastest EX's and raptors around. PERIOD. First mistake was having trinity do your motor. Second mistake was asking them for advice!

Old 01-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Call Harry at Trinity and talk to him about your situation. Hopefully you know the name of the guy who sold you the bike. Harry will be able to look up when and what was done to the bike.

Who knows, it may not even be a Trinity motor.

Do that first, just to make sure that you know what your dealing with. Just to make sure that you have what you think you do.

Then you can tackle things like jetting and making sure everything else is OK.

Does it seem to run smooth??

Old 01-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

noot21- More details please. the other guys may be lying about what was done to theres?? My Trinity was faster than the piped and jetted crowd but not by very much.

Old 01-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

The guy didn't have evidence that it was a 686, but he said he could get it for me. He had a dealer send the engine off and then re-install it. He gave me the number of the dealer and said that they would be able to tell me that he was for real. I told him about my situation of getting beat and it really ticked him off, and he's been trying to help me figure it out too. The kit is about a year old.

The Trinity Kit consist of 686 cylinder bore, Power hone, 11:1 compression 102mm Piston setup, Trinity's camshaft and valve springs, head port/polish, Trinity valve job. Plus I have a full Graydon exhasut and a K&N Prow Flow Filter.

It runs really smooth. This is the third Raptor that I've owned and they all have run smooth.

I'm running 175/180 jets. Trinity suggest 180/185. I have experimented with 150/155 through 175/180.

I was running 8 paddle Haulers. My brother had Geckos and my friend had Sand Skate II's. I was doing third gear starts and beating them through the whoops, but then they'd catch me by the top of the hills. They'd start in second, then shift to third after the whoops. My brother is about 30lbs lighter then my friend and I.

Another thing might be gearing. I'm running 12/44, and they were both stock. So I was getting a lot more torque, probably why I was able to do third gear starts. I wasn't losing rpms going up the hills, but I wasn't gaining either. You would think that with a supposed 63hp and the gearing that I had, I would be able to pull fourth gear going up the hills. But maybe not.

What gears are other people able to pull?

Old 01-01-2003, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If everything checks out you might want to check valve timing and clearance. The stronger springs may have streched the chain. Also muffler packing is something that is often overlooked.

Old 01-02-2003, 02:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know it's hard to believe, but I was doing third gear starts. I'd just lean far forward, get the wheels spinning good and the rpms high, and then slowly lean back and try not to wheelie. I'd fly through the whoops and then have lots of momentum starting up the hill, and look back and see my brother and friend slowly getting closer and then catching me by the top.

Old 01-02-2003, 04:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

What T()*&^%% claims and what is delivered are two very different things... They do very good work, just not the fastest, unless your chosen!

Roostking...

Old 01-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Roostking- I thought that was sparks motto

Were you chosen by "kenz" or was Todd????

Old 01-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Actually I chose Kenz... I had been trying to find someone reputable here in town and we both stumbled upon himi about the same time.. Thing is, Todd put his 420 together, and now its blown up. DOH!

RoostKing...

Quick Reply: 686 Trinity Raptor Owners