Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ton of engine work= smaller jet?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ton of engine work= smaller jet?!?!?!

I got this sucker ported, mid-top cam, 10.25:1 piston, open airbox, open exhaust and its running choppy as heck, plug is black and sooty. Before I got all the engine work done (still had the open pipe and the open airbox) it was running a 148 perfectly. I even moved the needle jet clip up one to try to correct the mid range, helped a touch.

I havent yet tried top end, because my engine is in break it but its hard to break it in when it has a huge off idle stumble and mid range misses like heck. When you get close to top end it starts to run right but im not suposed to be up there during break in.

What im getting at, is does a top end cam mean you have to lean your mid range way out?

Old 01-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to recheck the timing marks to make sure you didn't end up setting the cam timing back a couple of teeth. If the cam is retarded (come on,you guys know what that means) it could make the low and mid real weak,and start to run better at the top end. get the marks on the engine lined up and do a quick recheck to make sure. If that is fine, could be your float level is way high, giving you too much fuel on the bottom end, and it would idle bad,too. Hope that helps you out a little. My rebuild used a lot of the same parts, but I got the all around cam, not the top end, and I had to jet up a few sizes to make up for the extra flow and compression.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

It sounds like exactly what hapend to me. I built my girl friends warrior up with big gun system,10.75:1 JE, K&N, and a big web cam. Oh yea two 1.5 holes in air box. It had the pipe and filter before this and was running on a 148 main. After I did this It was rich in the mid ,but lean on top and bottom. I ended up with on size up on the pilot jet, 3rd groove on the needle,and a 155 main. Good luck I think the warrior carb doesn't like the overlap in the cam.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Range Rover

Nope, it could be right... if you managed to increase intake manifold vacuum which most *big* cams don't. Any particular jet can flow more or less depending upon manifold vacuum. Like sucking through a straw, suck hard and you get more flow. Most long duration cams will lower manifold vacuum to the point of needing a larger jet to make up for the loss on an everything else equal motor. Big jets do not equate to big HP!! If you managed to increase the thermal efficiency of your engine and decrease the fuel requirement you did real good....

Don't pay any attention to what jet you have other than to use as a baseline, it may need to go smaller...