Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior rear shock: Use a Raptor shock !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior rear shock: Use a Raptor shock !!

I am replacing my Raptor rear shock with an Elka. I decided to see if the Rap shock would fit on my Warrior since my Warrior shock is 13yrs old and leaks. Turns out the raptor shock is slightly longer but is a no-foolin drop-in fit. The best part is that it really increases the wheel travel too . Lots more up-travel compared to the stock Warrior shock. The only creative thinking came when I had to re-locate the resivour - I just cut a couple slots in the plastic by the upper chain roller and hose clamped it - worked perfect and looks clean.

Seems there are usually good deals on e-bay for stock Rap shocks so this could be a cheap upgrade for Warrior guys. Also, add some more $$ and have the Rap shock upgraded/tuned/valved by the Quad Shop and I think the improvement would be dramatic.

Thought you Warrior pilots might be interested....

Eric

Old 01-25-2003, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Fisher thanks for the good info although I dont own a warrior I dont mind reading usefull reviews and peoples creative thinking mods.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds good thanks for the info, now if I can just get the shock off of my brother in laws raptor without him seeing me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2003, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

it sure does fit, I had one on my warrior for a few months then the Rear on my raptor blew apart so I took the warriors off.

I had a hard time getting my PRM swingarm skid on but it did go.

Old 01-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

I've got the Armidillo skid and it does not cover the linkage area as much so it was no prob...

Took it for a good rough ride today and the difference is very nice - it works well.

Just for info purposes, I checked to see if a stock front Raptor shock would fit on the front of the Warrior and the Rap shock is too long (by about an inch or so) - it wont work with stock a-arms. But, I'll bet it would work with extended a-arms - hmmm, gotta keep an eye on e-bay !?

Old 01-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

I put raptor fronts on my warrior to just to try, I had to compress them a little to get them in the top mount. They are valved way too light to be that far "in" on the fulcrum of the stock a-arm. If you are 100lbs they might work but the front end dived to much for me and bottomed badly because of the light valving. VERY VERY plush other than that but not really useable.

Old 01-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

OK - I didnt try to compress the fronts to make them fit, seemed like it would put a lot of undue stress on the ball joints at full extension.

Good info -

Old 03-14-2003, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just wanted to share my ignorance with eveybody that might want to do this shock swap. The newer style piggyback Raptor shock wont fit on the warrior, the res. hits the swing arm. Of course I found this out after I bought a nice 2002 shock on ebay. I did the Ebay thing from my job up in Prudhoe Bay without measuring clearances on my Warrior. When I got home I was bummed. The 2001 Raptor shock will work with since it has a remote remote res.
Does anybody out there have a 2001 Raptor shock that they might want to trade for a 2002? Its only got 4 hrs on it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey i got that piggyback shock for my project and it's gonna work nicely with my ext. swingarm. to do it, i'm losing the stock air box so i'm gonna make a custom airbox. i will have to trim a little off the end of the frame that fits into the stock air box so the piggy back clears. won't fit the other way, piggyback hits swingarm. i figure the 230S is a bit lighter so it might work pretty well. what the heck, got it for a song on ebay. it's gotta work better than the blownout 18 yr old boinger![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 01 rear shock that'sin pretty good shape. PM me if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Warrior rear shock: Use a Raptor shock !!