Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor lid off

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor lid off

Took the lid off this past weekend and increased jets to 148/150 dj at 1000 ft. sea level. I have been reading past posts of many people who had problems jetting with the lid removed. (Chimmer especially) Seems most people are experiencing sputtering at 1/4 - 3/4 throttle. I have no hesitation and power feels smooth. I also read Moose talking about turbulence making dyno look like a roller coaster. Dont understand how Im running smooth with good power when everyone else is having so many problems. Also, when Im at full throttle and let off, I have some sputter out the pipe. I figure its just from me removing the spark arrestor from the yoshi. Havent done a plug test but this sputter is normal right?

Old 02-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor lid off

I dont got any probs either and I'm using the same setup.

Old 02-04-2003, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor lid off

I am running the same set-up too. The only time I notice anything is going up a steep hill or doing wheelies at the balance point, it will hesitate at lower throttle, but other then that it runs awsome. I am gonna do a few things to my air box lid to get it to flow more and try that and see if no lid is really causing my hesitation. Try a wheelie and see what the does. Oh and I have the foam filter, not the K&N.

Old 02-04-2003, 07:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raptor lid off

I looked through a lot of the posts to and it seemed it was hit and miss running the DJ kit without a lid. That's why I went with the gytr kit.

Old 02-04-2003, 09:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Raptor lid off

Heres my Dyno run at 4SW's. Doesn't look like no roller coaster ride to me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Dyno run, No lid, K&N PD Filter plus other mods.

I love the Dyno jet kit. Was having problems witht the mikuni jets after pipe purchase. Bought the dynojet kit and problems went away and power was achieved. I'm buying anothe DJ kit for my stock Raptor and a pipe any day now. Dyno jets are a good choice IMO.

Old 02-04-2003, 09:54 PM
Range Rover
Default Raptor lid off

I talked to the dyno jet tech support about what mains to run with my full exhaust and no lid and they said that I should be using around 170 and 175 mains, it seems to run good and the plug looks okay but alot of guys are tellin me that that doesent seem right.

Old 02-04-2003, 10:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Raptor lid off

Damn, thats a lot of jet for your mods. I run 150/155 and the plug looks great. I'm considering running 155/160 but could never imagine running dyno jets as high as yours. I'm at sea level to 2500' most of the time.

Old 02-04-2003, 10:24 PM
Range Rover
Default Raptor lid off

What I run is in my sig.

I just dropped to the 3rd clip on the needle and added 4 discs and it seemed to run better than it did before on the 4th needle. I still think that the throttle could be crisper or more responsive, or is that just something that you have to live with when you have jets and no lid?

Mine also sputters when I let off of a full throttle blast.

Old 02-04-2003, 10:27 PM
Range Rover
Default Raptor lid off

I didn't have much time to really yride it much after I jetted it because the trans went out but when I put it back together It'll have a 11:1 piston and stage 1 cam do ya think the jetting will be ok then?

Old 02-04-2003, 10:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Raptor lid off

Sounds like your going through what I just went through. 02 tranny upgrade and installed the 11:1 and Hotcam stage 1. We'll have the same mods only different pipes. get out and run it and see how it does. Over jetted is better than lean. Start there and get it broke in and then do plug checks etc to get it dialed in.

A little popping shouldn't be a problem. Air/Fuel screw adjustments should be able to take care of it. 1/4 turn out each try. 3 turns out is what most say is the limit. 4 for a max is doable, imo. Check the RPM's at idle make sure they are in spec also.

Quick Reply: Raptor lid off