Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor piping/jetting

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor piping/jetting

I have another question for you all. The help with the choke cable was great, and was one of the problems that we found on my friends 2001 Raptor. He just got it back with some more warrenty work done on it, the second stator and the rear axle bearings. It still doesn't seem to be running right, and he went through way too much gas the last time we went riding on the river (frozen). As he was shifting into 5th gear I was going by him, and he said it seemed to dog out really bad. We were on some hard packed snow, from the sleds packing it down. I wasn't having any problems making r's, but he was in high gear. It would take off like it should from a stop, really got up and went. It was just in the highter gear that he was having power problems. He is running a T-4 Pro Circuit Slip On, K&N Air Filter and Outerware, 12 tooth sprocket and the needle clips are set one notch up. No jetting. Could this be the problem? Choke cable is now working free and easy. Any help would be great!!!

Old 02-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

He is way lean!!
Do not ride it till he rejets!!!!

Get A Dynojet kit & follow the directions.
It's something you can do yourself, it's an easy fix & should take a couple of hours the first time.

Old 02-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

So you are saying that changing the needle didn't help it? I would have thought he was to rich, running out of gas like he did. I mean I still have about a 1/4 to 3/8 tank left.

Old 02-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Also, what is the stock location for the needles? Is the stock position going to be all right with just the slipon and k&n? Thanks again

Old 02-11-2003, 09:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Whats your altittude? 3000' and under he needs to jet up with a slip on and K&N filter. I assume that is a stock style filter that requires the lid to be on. I would go up one size maybe 2 sizes to a 145 left carb 150 right carb or 150 left and 155 right. Put the needles on the 4th groove from top, fuel air screws out 2 1/2-3 turns left and 1/4 turn more from whatever you do to the left for the right carb.

Aren't the Predators suppose to shine in top speed or higher RPM's anyway? Maybe thats why you pass him by. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moving the needle would only effect the mid range and since that's where you cruise most of the time he was probably running rich there and sucking gas. The problem you describe sounds like he needs to go up on the mains 150/155 if he's running with the lid on and snorkle removed or flaps trimmed.

Old 02-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Range Rover

He also needs to go back to a 13 tooth front sprocket. The 12 is taking away alot of top-end

Old 02-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

KJMAXXX- Are you talking about top end speed or power? When he shifts it into 5th, there is no power at all, it just bogs and very very slowly starts to build speed.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Range Rover

No, Im talking about speed. He definately needs to jet up. After he does that then he should go to the 13 for better top speed. The 12 is great for tight trails and woods but to low for anything else.IMO

Old 02-13-2003, 04:07 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, I have no idea what the alt. is here, eastern Wisconsin. He found out that the needles wern't even, one was third from the top, the other was 4th from top. Even now. How hard is it to re-jet? He heard that you had to drill something out? Any sugestions? What are the stock jet sizes and where should he start with the new jets? Sitting on the machine, from left to right, which carb has which? Thanks again all.

Quick Reply: Raptor piping/jetting