Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ping...Knock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ping...Knock?

What exactley does ping sound like, like "ping" or is it somewhat of a knocking noise? My blaster engine is a little noisy, im hoping the crank isnt loose...I just bored cylinder and put in new piston& rings...Could someone inform me? Please [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2003, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default Ping...Knock?

I AM SO GLAD TO SEE THAT NOONE CARES ABOUT A REGULAR QUESTION, IM SORRY IT DOESNT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IS A RAPTOR FASTER THAN A Z400 BUT COME ON SOMEONE OUT OF THE 31 PEOPLE WHO HAVE VIEWED THIS HAVE TO HAVE AN IDEA WHAT THIS IS, O WELL THIS IS A LOST CAUSE

Old 02-14-2003, 01:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Ping...Knock?

well im the 34th post. Its kind of a vague question though. "what does a ping sound like?". A "pinging" sound is what the rider makes it out to be. Everybody has opinions. If your motor has a knock to it why does it matter if its a ping or a pong or a tat or a clunk? If if has a noise dont you think it should be pulled down anyways? I dont understand why your asking what a ping sounds like. just maintenance your motor.....

Old 02-14-2003, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Ping...Knock?

It depends, and beechman is right. But you could try upping the octane to see if that helps. I heard majorechos ds at fsw's and it sounded like metal to metal contact, turned out to be detonation. I dont know what octane he ended up with, but after he put in some race fuel it stopped.

So, it would not hurt to try some race fuel and see. If that does not do the trick tear it down and inspect.

Bat

Old 02-14-2003, 01:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Ping...Knock?

i meant 34th view by the way. Sorry.

The reason i dont think its detonation is because he said it was a knock. To me a "ping" is a detonation sign to where a knock is something in the crank. But thats my ping and my knock. everybodies pings and knocks are different. Is it knocking at low r's too or when your revving it to the moon?

Old 02-14-2003, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Ping...Knock?

I understand beechman, and I agree. But if you had heard majors machine it was a scary sound. He tore it apart in the sand several times. He also ground away material from the head thinking it was making contact with the piston. After all that the sound was still there.

I think it was dsmike that said maybe it needs more octane, and they tried it and the noise was gone.
I was just saying it would be worth trying. Especially if he has done any mods to up the compression. But if it just started out of the blue, then probably something in the bottom end needs attention.

Bat

Old 02-14-2003, 03:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Ping...Knock?

I understand. Maybe its because we always use high octane fuel that we dont hear those sorts of knocks and pings. The only knock ive ever heard from our motor is when we tore apart a wrist pin and the bearings came flying out...now that was a knock! LoL

Old 02-14-2003, 04:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Ping...Knock?

dude blasters make all kinds of weird noises! Mine pings like crazy, but it's the pipe making the noise, not the engine. you may have nothing to worry about.

run premium fuel, make sure you have the right plug...check the color.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] soorry you had to wait, but i usually come on really late.

Old 02-14-2003, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default Ping...Knock?

Thank you so much for the reply! Ok I just tore the engine apart (bored cylinder, new piston, rings, wrist pin bearing) last week and just got it back together yesterday (thursday) I had a friend who works at a bike shop take a look at the crank and he said it was alright, To answer the question, the engine makes the noise at low rpms at Idle, I cant say if it does when I rap it out, because im still breaking it in, but the only time i have noticed the noise is when I am idling. Hopefully that can give ya'll an idea of what I am talking about, Im not exactley sure how to explain the noise, but i am for sure it is only when I am at idle. I do appreciate you takin the time to reply, you made my day!
rob

Old 02-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Ping...Knock?

Hmm detonation at idle? nono...hopefully its just pistonslap. Otherwise you got a problem bro