Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Red Neck Vise Grips - Dura Blue Axle / Swing Arm Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Neck Vise Grips - Dura Blue Axle / Swing Arm Install

I have begun another project. I am installing a +2 Swing Arm and a Dura Blue Eliminator 2+2 axle. I was having some trouble getting the axle nut to break loose when I had an idea. It looks a little silly but it worked.

Check out my Red Neck Vise Grips, but don't laugh too loud.............it worked great!!

By tightening it down like that you can either use your foot or do what I did, lower the quad down until the wrench was against the floor then put a pipe wrench on it. Then after applying A LOT of heat, hit the end of the pipe wrench with a hammer to break it loose. Things aren't as bad as they seem when you learn a few tricks along the way.

P.S. ............. That isn't mud or rust that you see in the pictures. It's Glamis sand........It's EVERYWHERE!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

i tried many things to get mine off but nooooooo luck. i took out those 2 allen key screws and all applied heat to the outer lock nut applied tones of heat and wd-40 with no luck i tried both ways to loosen it i eventually gave up. how long did it take you to get it off

Old 02-15-2003, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

How bad did those vise grips tear up the locknuts???
As long as you dont whip out the redneck pinstriping youll be okay. [ductape] [lol]

Old 02-15-2003, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

It takes about 10 minutes of heat and the lock nuts still look pretty good. But, that is from my point of view. We just went all over town looking for a very large wrench. Couldn't find one so you improvise.

Old 02-15-2003, 08:10 PM
Range Rover

Dont' forget to take it off before you go riding.

Old 02-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

hey banshee962000, I just sat there with the torch on it and turned the axle like a roticery for a good 10 to 15 minutes. I tried a few time here and there with no luck. I totally removed the set screws and pointed the fire directly into the holes. Eventually I could smell the loctite starting to stink so I knew I was getting close.

It wasn't until I put a pipe wrench on it and bashed the handle with a hammer a repeatedly until it broke loose. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I do have one thing going on though. There is a rev limiter attached to the emergency brake. I have it unattached now and the rev limiter is now active. Has anyone got the trick to totally disabling it. If you do please let me know...........it will save me some tinkering.

Here is where I am now

Old 02-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

there is a tool on ebay that hooks to a 3/4 breaker bar for like 27$. I will make me one one of these days. How do yall get the axle out of the bearing carrier?
Rudy

Old 02-16-2003, 06:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Swingarm/axel looks good Greg! What kind of chain did you get? I like the looks of it and I need a new one REALLY bad.

BTW watch the lock nut on the new axel. Some people, including myself, have had problems keeping it tight.

Old 02-16-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Ward,

It's a 520 ERT Chain, 520x120, DID (part number 00008653)................Rocky Mountain ATV ...............$ 54.99

Thanks, I think it looks pretty good too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I can't wait to see what +2 back and +3 wider does for the handling of the machine. It feels like it sits a little lower.

Old 02-16-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Greg, I put carb cleaner on the threads to disolve the thread locker then I took a sledge hammer to my 3' cressent. easy!!

also, add a click or to your rebound and dampening to compensate for that +2.

Quick Reply: Red Neck Vise Grips - Dura Blue Axle / Swing Arm Install