Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

50+ hp out of raptor, 93 decible

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50+ hp out of raptor, 93 decible

I am trying to get over 50 hp out of my bike without the noise, any help would be great! the oregon dunes require me to be at 93 decicible's

Old 03-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

Get an MBRP exhaust!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to say it, but I don't think it's possible. You could build the motor, and keep the stock exhaust, but you really need a free-flowing exhaust to make that kind of power. I could be wrong, but I've been around enough raptors with many different aftermarket exhausts on them, and they are all loud. Oregon's 93 dB limit is pretty unrealistic. Most stock exhausts put out around 85-88 dB when they are brand new, but even they eventually louder as the packing wears out. I think your best bet is to put one of the quieter aftermarket pipes on your bike, and just not ride like an idiot in the campgrounds and parking areas if the sound checkers are there. If you keep your bike at a low RPM level until you are away from the parking area, you will be safe. My 400EX has a Yoshi pipe on it, and I know it is loud (about 97 dB). But, the good thing about this pipe is that you can carry the T.E.C. endcaps in your toolbox, backpack, pocket, etc... and they only take about 20 seconds to change out. Then, all you have to do is get past the sound checkers, change it back out for the fully open tip, and you've got your power back. By putting the smaller end-cap in, I can go from 97 dB to 90 dB. It still flows better than stock with the small tip in, and it keeps you legal when you need to be. For the most part, just about everyone on the dunes is over the limit. I used to worry about it, but you just gotta pay attention to who's in the parking area, and be smart about what you're doing when/if the rangers/cops are around.

Old 03-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

If I were you I wouldnt even worry about noise. The cops at the Oregon dunes are very rarly there, only on busy days but even then you hardly see them. And if you get a ticket (which prolly wont happen) you can just fix the noise problem then it lowers it to $15 which is no big deal. So keep noise at the bottom of the worrys list, I say. Just get what you like.

Old 03-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am currently running a gytr slip-on which is testing out a little over 101 decibles. Modified a yoshi mid-size end piece and slipped in the stock baffle. Seems to have brought noise down to about 96 decibles, have not test rode this system yet. Was considering 11/1 compression piston with stock bore and a stage one hot cam; any guesses on the hp of this setup. I know that MBRP is a good pipe, but it is also loud. Any more ideas... Supertrapp IDS2???

Old 03-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

53 TO 55 h.p. with no head work but every dyno is different. As far as a quiet pipe for the Oregon dunes if your still really worried about it most run the f.m.f Q series but i will warn you they may be quiet but it comes at the expense of being restrictive.

Old 03-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

You know, turbos reduce exhaust sound levels [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
On the other hand, you could up the compression, add a cam, maybe get it ported, and get a very quite aftermarket exhaust. It will be torquey as heck.

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

LAB2V-i also ride on the oregon dunes and i have found a set up that is quiet and gives good power and it consists of a 102mm JE high comp(11:1) piston /pro design air filter/mikuni 155/160 jets/and the fmf-q muffler and power bomb head pipes.i have not had the fmf tested yet but it should be right at 93 db at least that is what we run on my wifes 440 ex and it tested at 93 db last year.my set up may be slightly slower than some but it is not overly loud and is very torquey which really helps in those long hill climbs.if you want go this way i can give you the name and ph# of the shop here in eugene that did the work and he can fix you up.my total cost with all the parts and labor was about 1300.00 and that includes the header and muffler.the power that i got with the small amount of money i spent should be enough for any one and it runs perfectly at all rpms now that i have the jetting and air box mods figured out.i would reccomend this set up to any one that wants a fast but reliable raptor.just a last thought, yesterday i raced my friends banshee that has FMF pipes/k&n AIR FILTER and 19cc domed heads up our comp hill in florence and i only got beat by about 1 quad length and i am 260 lbs so that should give you an idea of how my raptor performs.if you decide to do this same set up let me know because the air box mods are a critical part of the package to make it perform correctly.

Old 03-03-2003, 03:13 AM
Range Rover

I called FMF about there Q pipes there tech guy told me that for the Raptor they can't get below 96-97 dbls!!!!!!!!!!! Save your $$$$ don't buy a FMF Q

Old 03-03-2003, 10:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i just got back from the coast and one of the raptors had a pipe called dustin ind. he said it was new, but it seemed as quite as any i've heard, and his power seemed good.

Quick Reply: 50+ hp out of raptor, 93 decible