Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee or not to Banshee, that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2000, 11:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into getting a snappy sportquad. I've been and ATV enthusiast since I was 8, but most of experience is on the more utility oriented quads. I am looking into getting something on the other end of the spectrum. I've got it narrowed down to the Banshee, the 400EX, or possibly the new Cannondale. I'd just like some input on the Banshee as far as reliablity and perfomance goes. I've heard that it's the best out of the box power house available. I also understand that this is a Yamaha forum, but try not to be too biased in your recommendation.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2000, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

It depends on where you plan on riding. I ride in the sand dunes so I want lots of power and tight turing really doesn't matter. It doesn't matter which one has the best ride or suspension or looks the best. If your going to ride tight twisty stuff you might want to get the 400 or cannon. If you ride wide open areas get a Banshee. Reliabilty is only a matter of how well you take care of your quads. If you keep everything spotless and check every nut and bolt before and after every ride I'm sure you'll have a bulletproof bike. I have had my Banshee for about a year and a half and haven't even changed my spark plugs. Preformance products for a Banshee does cost more but your getting twice as much. I think Banshee's are one of the cheapest bikes to give lots of power. Add a set of pipes/silencers and jet kit with K&N and you'll be very happy with the power. I hope this helped you out.

Old 04-20-2000, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

are your funds unlimited? if you can't figure what to do with those extra franklins, grab that cannondale. that thing appears to be quite state-of-the-art. or there is the bombardier 650, also the price of a small summer cottage.

now....back to reality. i have a banshee myself and love it. there are some additional maintenance requirements because it is a twin and it is two stroke, but proper care will yield a very reliable quad. people will tell you they are terrible for woods riding. not true. they will tell you to throw modifications at it right away to make it even faster. poor advice.

here's my experience: pros -- a blast to ride, and mine is stock. very fast right out of the box. reliable if cared for. wide array of aftermarket parts. cons -- old technology, but proven. engine/carb problems usually go wrong in twos. powerband takes some getting used to.

a friend of mine is buying a 400ex this week. that is another machine i would not hesitate to own. four-stroke reliability and great suspension. not as fast as the banshee, but aftermarket parts available. hope this helps your decision process....

buy something, man! the dirt season approaches!

Old 04-20-2000, 01:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you are worried about reliability, i think the Cannondale is out. Although the Cannon does look trick, remember, they have only built high-end bicycles in the past, they have never built a quad(well they do have at least one) and their much-hyped motorcross bike is much-delayed. The Bombardier, Honda, and Yamaha are all proven machines(the motor which powers the DS, a Rotax, has been used in the BMW f650 for years and has won numerous races) The argument that a DS costs a fortune is bunk. A new Banshee is 5900, the Honda is 5800, while the Ds-650 is 6900. But for the extra grand you get a faster machine STOCK, way better suspension than either the Banshee or the 400ex, and a chance to ride something that not many people have, yet. I do love my Banshee though!!!!

RoostKing...

Old 04-28-2000, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

BANSHEE IS BETTER THEN 400ex so get a BANSHEE

Old 04-28-2000, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

what is up with the caps? theres no reason to scream to get your point across.

Old 04-28-2000, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer

I agree the Banshee is better than the 400 ex unless you like unlimited wheelies, but when you wheelie you cannot turn.

Old 04-28-2000, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

The banshee is a great machine and so is the 400ex. It all depends on what type of rider you are and where you like to ride. I own a 400ex and i love it. I also have friends who have banshees and i love them to. But patience is a virtue and if you can stand to, wait until the new yamaha and the cannondale come out

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT