Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need HELP ASAP:: Trailer Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP ASAP:: Trailer Lights

For those of you who don't know i drive a 98 mustang and i use it to hall my quad around. I've never worried about haveing trailer lights before but i'll be driving over 5 hours so I really need to get these going.
4 wires on the hookup, their as follows

white - ground - not needed, has self grounding lights
yellow - left flasher
green - right flasher
brown - tail light

I dont have the ground hooked up because its not needed. I have the left flasher, right flasher, and the tail light hooked up. Everythings fine untill i hit the brake, this causes the whole bulb to go out.... It flashes, and stays on when its suppose to, but if i hit the brakes they just go out!!! Anything you guys can do to help me out would be great, i gotta have this ready by tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

The easiest way would be spend about 15 bucks and buy the in-line connector for your Stang. It plugs right into the taillight wire cluster and ...bingo...instant trailer lights. They are sold at any auto parts store.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Otherwise...did you try to ground the white wire anywhere on the car?? and did it make a difference??? When the lights go out or fade, its usually a ground problem.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Does that mustang have seperate (amber) turn signals that will flash when the brake lights are on (both sides)?

If so you will need an adapter to provide the correct output to the standard trailer wiring you have.

If not (turn signal and brake light are the same bulb, standard American car wiring), then it sounds like you do not have a sufficient ground.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

The most important step in connecting trailer lights to your tow vehicle is the GROUND, don't assume that just because it is hooked to the ball that it is grounded. HOOK UP the white wire for your Ground and I am sure that your problem will disappear. I have wired more trailers than I can count and the first thing I do is hook up the ground wires then, I take a set of jumper cables to the trailer and the vehicle that I am connecting to, too make sure it is grounded.

Old 03-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Camero and had the same problem. You are gonna need a converter to run from your rear tail lights and blickers to the trailer because your tail light and blinkers are seperate. They didn't make a quick connect or T connect for my car.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

truckracer and kooch got it right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

a common question at any dealership....

Old 03-12-2003, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Well 4 hours later i got it all working, I didn't need any special connectors or anything like that. I had everything right on the car side except for the ground which i tried spliceing in with another wire assuming was a ground. That didn't matter though, the trailer was the problem. I had to completly re-wire it so that i could have a ground for each light. Before i belive they grounded them selves off to the trailer.... I'm not sure. But it works now, and thats all that matters. Thanx for all you guys help, and bring on the dunes.

ScoTT

Old 03-12-2003, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

good for you! hey yours has seperate turn signal bulbs on the back of the car doesnt it? thats what a converter does is sort that out. what the heck, ya got it goin, eh? have fun! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2003, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer

Also that converter is somewhat of a surge protector too...if some part of your rewired trailer gets crossed it is gonna do some minor electrical damage to the car.

Old 03-13-2003, 08:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ahhhh who cares about elctrical damage, as long as the motor runs.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Glad ya got it going!!!

Quick Reply: Need HELP ASAP:: Trailer Lights