Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Gun Spark Arrestor

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Gun Spark Arrestor

Well... I just got my pipe today and it is the old style big gun pipe for my raptor. I am assuming it is a race series but there is no spark arrestor. I live in Canada and the places I ride sound is really not an issue. Coul someone tell me if it is harmful for the motor at all to ride without it. I know the purpose of the spark arrestor is to stop any sparks from flying out the exhaust and starting a forest fire but will alot of sparks actually fly out the back. I guess my question is should I spend the 80 bucks at big gun to update my pipe to the new style with spark arrestor. What really pisses me off is that the guy I bought it from off e-bay told me it was a race series pipe. Oh well ....e-bay can be deceiving sometimes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

It probly is a race series, just the old style. Its not harmful to ride without a spark arrestor, but with the slip on and pro flow you might want to check your spark plug and rejet if you havnt.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Wait a minute, who says its not harmful to not ride with a spark arrestor? Apparently you've never seen a rap at night. When I was at glamis, there was many bikes w/o arrestors and you could see flames and "sparks" out the back end. Im assuming u ride woods, and there is a possibility of risking a fire. You could always just get a clamp on "sparky" spark arrestor. They are realitively cheap on ebay (25-40) and it clamps on your pipe with absolutely no power loss and they are Forest Service Approved..
-nick

Old 03-13-2003, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

What do I type in for the search. I tryed "clamp on sparky", "clamp on spark arrestor" couldn't find anything. Got a website ?
Thanks alot.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

I believe he was talkiin about spark arrestors being harmful to his motor not the environment.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not 100% sure what the "old" style Big Gun is, but all of the ones I've seen/owned just have a mesh screen at the tip of the silencer. Big Gun sells extras for like $6. each, and you just have to remove 3 allen head screws to pop it in. On a related note, make sure the "dome" end faces to the rear, or else you risk blowing it out...thats what I was told by BG after roasting 2 of them. Haz

Old 03-13-2003, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

i think the old style has a riveted in end cap with no provision for installing a screen.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:46 PM
Range Rover

I am concerned about the motor and environment. I have to buy the whole end cap with spark arrestor from Big Gun for 79.99. Now I know I won't hurt the motor without the sparky but I do not want to start any fires either. Any info on that bolt on sparky would be great.
Thanks

Old 03-13-2003, 07:46 PM
Range Rover

Ther are allen screws to remove it.

Old 03-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

3 inch dia. for 30

oval for 10

This is suprisingly the only 2 I could find on ebay right now....

hopefully one of them will fit. If not, Im sure your dealer could get his hands on one for you. They sell for 55 at my dealer..

-nick

Quick Reply: Big Gun Spark Arrestor