Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sparks or Craycraft???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparks or Craycraft???

Alright everyone. I am just wanting some feedback.
My Father and uncle both sent their motors to do the full 686 Sparks setup. We went to fswII and witnessed everything; however, I decided to give Craycraft a try. I've never heard of Sparks' dyno but I have seen 14mins dyno. What do you guys think? Did I screw up? We will see in about one month, and I will keep everyone updated. Also who has the fastest dyno (on this forum or witnessed), honestly I know they vary a bit, just curious?
Thank you

Any info is appreciated

Old 03-25-2003, 02:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Raptor660- It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Everyone should be pleased. If Sparks produces 2 like the ones that raced the hill that is going to be a wicked group of 3 quads. What were the prices?? Are all going to run the same carbs?? When you get them back break them in and tell us how they all turned out. I know that i would not have a problem racing sparks in a 1/8 mile or a flat drag with my craycraft. I could not say the same about my first 686. I hated to run anyone that just had a piston or cam. Good choices all around. We do not see many sparks around here.

Old 03-25-2003, 02:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't comment on Spark's performance so ...

But I do know with Craycraft you'll get better customer service than anywhere else, and thats a fact Jack!!!

Old 03-25-2003, 04:00 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Sparks should stick to makings sharp edges.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] to better to jump with my dear

Old 03-25-2003, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

14mins - As far as prices go my uncle is doing everything from the 35mm sparks carbs to the Sparks swingarm(+3 or +4) and Sparks clutch, supposed to be the exact same setup as the Black Raptor at fswII for about 3K. My father is not going to do the carbs, but the engine will be identical to my uncles for about 2k, mine is about 1600 from craycraft. I already have a Tucker racing +6 swingarm(way too long for a stock engine, need some more ponies to lighten up a bit), and my father is going with a +2 swingarm(he loves light front ends-comes out of the hole like a bat out of hell!). I'm going stock carbs reworked a bit.

-I went with an EBC clutch? good or bad move (not carbon fiber!)

-I really like the engine heating and coating that Craycraft does, the cooler the better!

Thanks everyone

Old 03-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer

im soon to be getting a raptor (and a shee) and was considering the 690 kit from sparks ,i already have a sparks x6 i can get my hands on , but was wondering is it worth it, or should i just go with a cam and piston? the local mechanic here has one meeeaaannnn sparks 690 he dirt drags it and let me tell you its fast i mean crazy fast , he does all the work himself and thats who im gonna get to install everything if i do get it, i dont expect to keep up with him i know i cant but even though he is 46, but sry got of track but would it really be worth it over a cm and piston with a pipe and K&N with no lid?

Old 03-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

-airraptor Of course the motors will not be idenical, and yes they probably do piddle with a few things to lighten up and gain a few more ponies, but did you notice the stock shocks, stock frame.....also did you happen to see Sparks put the 240 lb. rider go undefeated as well (specifically the dark silver, alcohol, nitrous, trinity bike-not sure who's bike it was-had a trinity sticker). Does the 50 lb. lighter bike (on racing fuel) and 140 lb. rider make up for the alcohol nitrous? I went with Craycraft to see the difference between the two bikes, not because I thought Craycraft was faster. I'm just backing Sparks because I was thoroughly impressed with Sparks, no one was even close.

-redrider101 - I would recomend for you to go with a pipe and filter first because you should gain about 13-16 hp. Then go with a cam and piston w/ porting after. That's what I'd do.

Old 03-25-2003, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

I out ran every body that was there and willing, so don't even talk like your bike is fast cause we all know that it is as slow as a stock rappy!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2003, 10:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Air- You can't give sparks any credit. The 2 quads they ran on the hill got the job done. I did not see the starter or battery missing. Mine will not run with the battery out of it.

Old 03-26-2003, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

-airraptor-but for these guys sending there stuff to them thinking they will have a quad as fast because they have the same engine will be disappointed.
-airraptor, Again, My uncle and Father do not expect to have the same exact engine, every single engine out there will be slightly different even if machined by the same person, (two totally stock bikes will not run the same), but if it even comes close to running as well (engine wise not weight wise), it will be a great running bike. Sparks could have had a 5 gal. cooler on the back of his bike, a 2 hundred lb. rider, with a backpack on and still won! Sparks is used to running in motocross and mx so his mentality is weight really matters, which it does, but Scott , one of Sparks' mechanics, tried to have him put the starter and little stuff back on so nobody would whine about loosing, excuses, excuses, he whipped everyone, bar none, If he hates complainers as much as most people do next year expect to have everything back on. I like how he had stock shocks, only a swingarm, and everyone is complaining about the whoops in past forums.

-I have and still will be using my stock carbs and I was wondering if anyone has taken their starters out. I dont have a manual yet to see what it is composed of, I was thinking it would probably be faster to take the starter out than take those freaking plastics off every time you need to change jets. It's ridiculous!!

Thanks Again

Quick Reply: Sparks or Craycraft???