Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

First time dune dumbass mistake..

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time dune dumbass mistake..

Was out at silver lake for the first time all saturday, what a cool place! It was nice to meet RapRacer1, your quad kicks ***! But back to my story. I took a quick ride around the dunes to get the feel for them. I went to the last big dune towards the back, and went real fast up it. Maxed out in 4th gear, about 50 mph. I didnt know the dune had a sheer dropoff on the other side. Of course, I hit the top of the dune, maxed out, fly down the other side, about 25 foot of air. I had enough time to say some cuss words in the air, and then I hit the ground. OH MAN was that a hard landing. My chin hit the handle bar clamp ripping a nice gouge in it, my helmet gouged itself all the way down to the foam, and my chest hit my cross bar pad SUPER hard. I got knocked out, and fell of the quad. Some how my visor on my helmet came off, along with my right shoe. I woke up rolling around, thanking god I was still alive. I looked around for anyone who had seen it, and of course, no one was around! I got the biggest air of my life, and no one saw it. I was sad! But reality hit back in, and I saw my banshee rolling away, so I got my shoe back on, took off my helmet, and hobbled my way back to it. My chin was gushing blood, and I couldnt get my chin strap back on my helmet. Needless to say, it was the most crazy thing thats ever happened to me. Both of my brand new ITP .190 dune wheels are bent, that pissed me off! I of course sucked it up the rest of the day, and rode for a long time. I was one of the fastest quads on the drag strip, so that made up for my crappiness. But it was the greatest trip to the dunes except for Glamis and I hope to see lots of you there later on!

Dont do what I did
-nick

Old 04-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

You are a lucky man!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I have seen too many at Pismo be taken out by ambulance for doing the same thing. You need to know whats on the otherside before you try to fly.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yep, always know whats on the otherside before hauling azz over the top.

As for pismo, yes it's a bad place for drop offs, fortunatly there isn't any big azz dunes to fly up and off. Seen a person or two being flown out of there myself.

Old 04-13-2003, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

should have waited up for me with the camera nick.

Old 04-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the advice. a buddy of mine is taking me to the dunes this summer. hopefully i'll remember your experience...

Old 04-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I'm going later this summer. If you want to do the trick again I'll come tape it for you.lol
In all seriousness I'm glad you're ok. I remember the first time I went to Silver Lake I didn't know how to get down the last dune it was nuts.
I wish I would of went.

Old 04-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

i wish you would have went too, i wanted to see that quad man.

Old 04-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

87Banshee I feel your pain. I didn't get hurt but my quad blew out and I didn't even get to race. I guess this weekend was meant for me. I didn't bring a back up quad because I was sure the new one would be great...................See ya in May............

Old 04-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

That suckls Rhonda, I wish I could have raced that thing! I was dominating alot of people at the drags, and was feeling pretty good about myself even after the crash. Today I didnt feel so spiffy so I just sat around and watched movies. I hope to be back weekend after next if any of you are going. It was a blast, and Im glad I went, even though I broke myself.

Hope your quads running next time we both are there! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

-nick

Old 04-14-2003, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

So, When is the next big trip. I have to know in plenty of time so I can plan my work acordingly.
I will be shooting DirtWheels on May 3rd and 4th.

Quick Reply: First time dune dumbass mistake..