Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CPI, PT, Tommey Banshee Pipes (not another HP ?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPI, PT, Tommey Banshee Pipes (not another HP ?)

What are the good and the bad on these pipe. I am lookinf for a set for my new shee. On the CPI do they stick out so much that you will always burn legs with shorts on?. I here that the PT tuck down wear rocks come up and hit them really easy compared to others? I know the PT are better for trail but what about the others? I am really wanting the CPI but motsly wear shorts when riding. Any pics of CPI installed or the PT? Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

If it's stock and you just wanna pipe it I'd just go with the Toomey pipes. The CPI's are made to produce more power for built engines and I dont know about the PT's.

Old 05-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

Hey man,
Those are some pretty good questions from a guy about to slap down some major cash on a set of pipes!!! I'll help you out where I can...
The CPI's..No I don't think they stick out that far as to be a chronic problem..But you shouldn't be wearing shorts anyway!!!! Get a set of vented MX pants if you are hot! However, they make NO power anywhere near the RPM range you would use outside of a wide open space. Look at the dyno sheets comparing the TR6 to the CPI...See where the TR6 starts to lose power and it appears it has the CPI "beat" Well that is where the "engine siezed" and the CPI's START making power...yeah I said start...If you want a mean fast dragster, CPI's rip, but would probably suck anywhere else.
The Duncans I have not heard any problems with rocks...They make the Shee feel more like a 250 single....well sort of. They have the T5's and TR6's beat in a small portion of the mid range, so if you spend alot of time on terrian similiar to an mx track, the PT's would probably feel pretty darn good.
The Toomey T5, kind of like a combo of the PT's and CPI's, a top end screamer that isn't ALL top end, not a bad middle ground. A good pipe for drags and with a deft clutch hand, decent on a track..If you would be interested, I have a set of T5's for sale..In real good shape. I think just out of curiosity I am going to put a 2 into 1 on it a do some XC racing. Let me know if you'd be interested, if not let me know what pipe you decide on!! Either way, your machine is going to flat out rip!! Banshees RULE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

I had both Paul Turner Hi-Revs and CPIs on my Banshee. From what I have seen, the Paul Turner Hi-Revs are just as good if not better on stock engines than the CPIs. Ask Pudjumper about Danny's Banshee. It runs very well.

The Paul Turners will very rarely burn you. You will occassionally burn your leg on the CPI pipes and you probably won't be wearing shorts with them if you're going to ride it other than drag racing. I have to admit, the CPIs weren't as bad about burning me as I thought they would be.

As far as performance, the CPIs were quicker on my Banshee (not stock). With the CPIs, I ran 1/10th of a second quicker than the Hi-Rev Paul Turners in the 1/8th mile (660 ft). Not enough of a difference in my opinion, but I have an all around Banshee not just a dragger. The CPI may be more of an advantage on "full" drag engines.

Hope this helps. And I do have some pictures if you'd like to see my bike with each of these two pipes.

Daren

Old 05-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Daren will you please send those pics to me at papapumpdx@aol.com? Jay told me about the Paul Turners being real good. I thought they tucked dow pretty far where the rocks and all would hit verry easily.

How much are you selling the toommeys for and you have a pic?

Thanx everyone

Old 05-04-2003, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

hey my dads got pt mid range here's a picture My Dads Shee

hope that helps and i also found this page at there website with some pictures DR Site

Old 05-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

and just so you know toomey has now come out with a new pipe called the t-6 check it out at there website at Toomey

Old 05-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Yes I knew about the TR 6 kind of expensive and probally would have to wait a while to get it. Also How do the Pro Circuit and FMF fatties? Is is worth it to buy a jet kit or just go buy a few jets? Thanks

Old 05-05-2003, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

For the CPI and Paul Turners, regular Mikuni main jets are all that you will need. 280s or 290s depending on air filter, etc.

Daren

Old 05-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

First of all, I agree that shorts are not the best idea - sooner or later you will burn your legs. I personally wouldn't buy pipes based on that. If you must, the PT pipes sure do tuck in there but I wouldn't buy them.

Here's my opinion. Get top end pipes. Period. Search around for dyno charts of pipes and you will see that the mid range pipes really don't produce much power compared to top-end pipes and their midrange isn't that strong. The Banshee engine seems to like a top end pipe, I f you must have more midrange maybe some top end pipes plus a MX port would be the ticket. I don't know that's not my thing maybe somebody has done this and con give you a bettter idea.

There are some good top end pipes like Toomey, FMF SST, Pro Circuit, LRD and CPI. From dyno charts I've seen these one all make good top end power. The CPIs are kinda big - ask anybody who wore shorts with those and see what happenned.

As for the jet kits, it's not the jets but the needles that are matched to the pipe. I haven't tried the stock needles with my pipes so I can't answer. Worry about that once you decide on some pipes. Don't wait on the T6 pipes from Toomey - who really knows whne they are coming.

Quick Reply: CPI, PT, Tommey Banshee Pipes (not another HP ?)