Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A-Arm question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-Arm question!!!

Ok,

I have most the parts ordered for my Rappy... Frame, Swing arm, axle, bumper, grab bar, chain, and back brake line.

I am now down to the A-arms... and I have a few questions!

How big of a diference is there in Heim joints and ball joints?
How big of a use is the caster adjustment? (keep in mind I trail ride, drag race and hill climb)

I am considering Alba, Wicked Products, and ASR!

Alba has camber adjust with ledger ball joints. +2 +1 (alba also has grease fittings)
Wicked Products has camber and caster ajustment with ball joints. +3 +1
ASR has camaber and caster adjustment with Heim joints. +2or+3 +1
All three of these have a "lifetime warranty" and are about 100$ difference in them.

Does anyone have any oppinions that might help my choice? Any other companies to consider? Any experience with the Warranty on these companies?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Mike

Old 05-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

What ever you get make sure it's made out of chromoly, not just mild steel, and the caster is helpful especially if you drag race, by putting a few degrees of negative caster you help the quad track straighter and not react to every bump in the road as much at very high speeds, it especially helps minimize that squarely feeling you sometimes get at very high speeds when racing on loose terrane, I have the ASR Pro +3+1 and im very happy with them.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

Ok now ASR uses the "heim" joint have you had any problems with these? I have had a few people tell me that Ball joints are better.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have not had any, but I might agree being that the hiem joints are exposed and will probly wear out sooner than the sealed ball joints, but I wouldn't trade them for ball joints let me explain: I can readjust any toe in, camber or caster in less than 5 minutes with ease, now with the ball joints wonce there in and tightened it's a pain in the a$$ to break them free from the spindles so you make any adjustments, fell free to correct me anyone if Im wrong since my experience is with the hiem joints and Im comparing them to my friends a-arms with the ball joints.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm, That makes good sense! Never thought of that. I like the looks of the ASR as well... One more question...What about the lack of grease fittings? Is this a problem with the ASR? (or do they have them I'm just going by the pic, and it doesn't look like they do)

Thanks for the info. I am gong to have to make up my mind soon though or I'm going to have everything but the a-arms ordered!!! (might be hard to ride that way) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

No grease fitting at all which surprised me being such an easy thing for the factor to just put in 2 zerk fitting.......that was disapointing when I recieved mine ASR arms with no grease fitting, I will have to put in my own soon.