Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

help me decide to wolverine or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me decide

I am cgoing to be buying an atv at the end of the summer. I am caught between an eiger, a rancher, or a wolverine. what should i get? which is best? And last but not leastwiil a wolverine out perfourm my cousins rancher he just bought? Because i have to be able torub his face in the mud.

Old 05-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default help me decide to wolverine or not

i'm in the same boat, looking to buy a wolverine. And now with the Warn 424 select to put in 2wd makes it look even better.

Old 05-13-2003, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

dont know about the comparison but all i can say is that the wolvy is a good bike. It does it all at a 5.

Old 05-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

The warn system does make it very apealing. I just wish i had less bills to pay so my money would stack quiker for it. Ihavent rode anything but my cousins rancher in the last 2 years and only a couple of times at that.

Old 05-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

The Wolverine is a lightweight ATV. LIghter than some 2WDs... unloaded and with stock tire sizes, it will hang with ANY ATV in wooded trails, especially in hills where the 4WD helps. In slogging mud conditions, it's smaller motor won't fling mud like some of the heavier quads, but if you keep it lightweight it will run on top and usually better in the mud. The wolverines I've seen with a bunch of heavy mods and bigger tires are a little sluggish - but the drivetrain in the Wolverine is strong and will happily accept a big bore motor's power.

Lately I've considered the 2wd Warn conversion on mine - but I've decided against this mod. It will add weight, and the turning circle isn't going to be reduced by enough to justify the extra weight for me. Remember, even in 2wd you'll still be carrying the weight of the front diff and axles, PLUS you still lost HP turning the drivetrain up front (no speed / performance benefit). Mine's staying full-time 4wd for now...

Old 05-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

Yea but the ability to switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive intices me for the sole purpose of power slides and blowing doughnuts. Plus i would like to be able to spray rooster tails at my cousins honda. It is my goal to taunt him as much as possible what are some good upgrades for the wolv. Are mud lights light enuff to not hurt the power??? And are there rims out there that are lighter than factory? SOOO much to think about. I guess i dont even care that much because by the time i get one i will just be so happy to be able to ride again.

Old 05-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Get the wolv, my friend has a rancher and I can dust him. I just got the warn 424 and it rocks. I never ride in 4x4 now unless i need it. Its really not that much heavier than the stock drive shaft, maybe a few pounds. In fact I can get the wolv goin about 2 mph faster in 2wd according to my trail tech speedo. Mine doesn't lose any HP. Some good mods to start with would be a k&n filter, jet kit, and a pipe. The wolv is a fun ride and i highly recommend it.

Old 05-14-2003, 02:02 AM
Trailblazer

Thanx spike i pretty much made up my mind on the wolv already i read all the threads you guys have posted and it sounds like yall love em to death. how bout tires what size or should i say whats the biggest i can go with out jeapordizing power.

Old 05-14-2003, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer

i'm gonna get some 25" mudlites on ITP C-series wheels here in the next few months, from what I hear this is probably as big as you'll want to go. And if you put the filter, jet and pipe on it, you wont lose much. hope that helps.

Old 05-14-2003, 02:04 PM
Range Rover

I havent been on this forum for awhile its nice to be back. As for what to buy in my experience I think the eiger is a bit faster than the other two but I dont know to much about it, the honda will be more reliable, more of a work atv and like the little things that break ie. plastic, levers, screws rattling out stuff like that you wouldnt have that on the honda. I have the wolverine at first I loved it you couldnt convince me to buy anything else. It was as fast as I needed to go went through anything I put it through. Now it seems its to slow, underpowered, and the little things are breaking, mind you I take good care of it, always check everything and change the oil. Any way if I had my choice between the three I would buy another wolverine just simply because its gotta be the funnest one of them all imo.

Quick Reply: help me decide to wolverine or not