1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

canadian fellow needs help

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default canadian fellow needs help

Hi,

I got a Chinese quad from my friend. I tried one time and never restarted again. Main issue: no spark at the spark plug. the quad is cranking but no start.
It's a no name machine and I assume a Chinese one. after several I got finally some usefull information:

167FMM-N
Single-cylinder,four-stroke,air-cooled,hand-clutched, electric starter reverse 250cc
I did some resistance and voltage reading on the main CDI harness:

- Ac ignition power : 293,2 ohms/ 40 VAC on cranking
- Timing trigger : 148,2 ohms/ 154mVAC-50mVAC-226mVAC on cranking
- ignition coil: 0,9 ohms / 24mVAC and 400mVDC on cranking with plugged CDI
- kill switch: switch OFF infinite/ Switch ON 0,8 ohms

What would be the next step? do you think my CDI is out? is there a way to bypass the CDI?
Need help!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

no way to bypass the CDI. You can find them cheap enough on ebay and amazon. Usually when i order them i order a 2 pack and then i always have a spare. Just try to match yours up paying attention to the connector. The AC - DC CDi are very close with the only difference being the connector. Should be able to pick up a couple for $20 or so.. A little more expensive on amazon but you will get it in a few days

Old 01-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply. But do u think my actual cdi is dead

Old 01-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Hard to say no real test for a cdi. for the $20 it's easier to toss a new one in then waste countless hours trying to diagnose. been their done that. now I always keep a spare. the import quads the cdi is not put in a good location so it's easy to get them wet and short them out.. been their and done that to...lol

Old 01-29-2017, 04:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Try a new plug first. There are tests you can do on the wiring to check if voltages and resistances are correct, but you need a wiring diagram to know which should be "live" which earthed, and which should show resistance to earth, so it is easier to fit a new CDI. If the voltage regulator is overcharging, or the earth to the CDI bad, it will blow your new CDI though, so check the earth wire if you can, and check voltage at the battery with the engine running, should be 13 to 14.5v.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I found finally my problem it was a short on my kill switch. I have definitely a spark so I'm going to change the oil after a leaking carb it was contaminated. thank you for your time.