Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 400 Maintenance recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat 400 Maintenance recomendations

This is for an arctic cat 2007 400 4x4 Brand New.
Ridden in the high desert Areas of Arizona.

I'm doing research for the husband. After all I'll make him change the oil but need to know what oil to purchase and when to change it. I've found the filters, just need oil recommendations.

I've heard recommendations that the first oil change should be after 50 miles, I've also heard it should be after 10 Hours, I've heard after 20 Hours and I've heard it should be after 50 Hours. Then once the first oil change takes place how often after that.

2nd question, How much of that Green Slime should go in each tire?

Anything else that needs to be maintenanced in the first little bit of a new ATV?

Our Cats are rolling into town on Tuesday for Pickup and we want to be ready.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

I have never seen proof that the oil has been changed and the engine broke in at the factory as others have said. So going by the manual that comes with the ATV 10hours or 100miles first oil change. Then every 300-500mi after that. I did this with my machines when new and all kinds of gasket material chunks and crud came out with the oil. I then followed the 300-500mi rule and I have over 15,000mi on my AC 400 and just under that on the TRV. I run AC synthetic oil, 0W-40 I think it is, that you can buy with oil and filter for about $30-$35. I run AC 5w-40 non synthetic oil in my 400. Here again oil and filter cost about $30-$35. Engine rebuilds can cost as much as $2500 so I just change the oil often. For me it ends up being about every other month as I use my machines almost daily year around.

Every other ride you should check your air filter. Especially there in AZ as it can probably be dusty.

Use a fuel stabilizer/cleaner in every tank of fuel like seafoam.

You will also hear a lot about "break in" manual says no full throttle until after first oil change. All they should say is to make sure the throttle position varries so propperly seat the rings and seat the engine components. Just try not to keep the throttle in any one position (especially full throttle) for a long period of time.

Follow the procedures for "burnishing the brakes" both hand brakes and the foot brakes. This means accelerate to about 25mph and then pile on the brakes. Do this over and over and over. I bet I put nearly 20 miles on just doing this and it varried the throttle position. The more you do this the better your brakes will get.

Also, I would reccomend to remove the skid plate to change the oil. I feel it is easier but others may not. It at least keeps from making an oily mess onthe skid plate to attract dust and dirt.

Last thing is you do not need to run factory AC filter and oil. I sometimes use a Wix filter. I do not remember the number but it was cross refferenced off a Fram 1359. They are around $5 and when you buy the AC filters I ususally see them from $9-$13 each. Some say it may void your warranty by not using AC filters and oil but that I do not believe. I usually hear that from the dealer.

And I personally do not like green slime. I have 3 bottles in one tire and it still has the same leak. The green slime just slowly oozes out of the hole and down the tire. I was told to put more in but I am just going to put a patch or tube in the tire and cleanthe slime out. I even tried the stuff with the little chunks of rubber in it. It should seal a 1/4 inch hole. My hole is way smaller than that. It as from a 1 inch long finishing nail. So I personally don't like the stuff. Get a small DC operated air pump kit and carry it with you in your ATV trunk.

Congratulations on your purchase. Get some hemlets with good a set of eye protection and you are set.

SJ

Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Swampy,

I think you covered it all. I was wondering about the AC Oil Filters. I bought 5 non factory oil filters off the internet for about $6 a piece with the shipping. We are getting in 3 brand new cats so we will go through those quickly. I'll need to try and find the oil now.

Also good idea about checking the air filter ever other ride. When we get done riding in that part of the country we are usually caked with dust. The inside of our packs are dusty and our water bottles taste of grit when we take a drink.

We need to keep our machines running good, because other then an initial 90 warranty we did not purchase an extended one as there are no Arctic Cat dealers that service these machines within a half days drive. They just aren't real popular machines out here and I don't know why. Our friend owns a 400 2-up model that will climb anything, we're hoping the regular machines do as well.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot to mention that if there is a lot of dust you can get a sock like "pre-filter" that slips over the existing filter. It is supposed to make cleaning easier.

Oil is a personal preference but remember that any non AC brand oil you use MUST be wet clutch safe or your clutch will begin to slip and you can actually burn and damage the clutch.

I buy the AC oil by the case (usually 2-3 cases at once) and get a discount. LIke I said I do a lot of riding and have 2 machines and go through it quickly. You will probably do the same with 3 machines.

SJ