Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Fuel Pump Switch Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Switch Out

I have a 2005 AC 500 and after it sits for around 2 days it is very hard to start and always has been. I prime and sometimes prime 3 times before it will start. I am lookin to replace the stock fuel pump with and in line electric fuel pump. I have found one in JC Whitney but I need to know haw much PSI and GPH for my atv so I can match the pump close to the original or a little over. My thinking is that when I turn the switch the pump will be working and noe more priming or hard starting since it is like I explained earlier and with in 2 day the atv will start and run like nobodies business so I think the electric pump might help?Your thoughts and information is appreciated.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Fuel Pump Switch Out

Originally Posted by Land_Surveyor
I have a 2005 AC 500 and after it sits for around 2 days it is very hard to start and always has been. I prime and sometimes prime 3 times before it will start. I am lookin to replace the stock fuel pump with and in line electric fuel pump. I have found one in JC Whitney but I need to know haw much PSI and GPH for my atv so I can match the pump close to the original or a little over. My thinking is that when I turn the switch the pump will be working and noe more priming or hard starting since it is like I explained earlier and with in 2 day the atv will start and run like nobodies business so I think the electric pump might help?Your thoughts and information is appreciated.

I have a 06' Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 that was doing the same as your 05' 500 , if i let it sit for over a week between rides it would run down my battery trying to cold start it ; the first thing i would do is replace every cheap/crappy Plastic fuel and vent hose with 1/4" GoodYear Automotive reinforced rubber hose .

And replace all hose clamp's with the screw type clamp's from your local Auto Parts Store , this helped solve the problem for my 06' AC 400 FIS Auto 4x4 ; but it still doesn't startup as quick as my 2 previous quad's with manual choke carb's .

Like your 500 my 400 did the same on cold startup's after letting it sit up for 1 to 2 week's between ride's from day one and i'm the original owner , if changing your fuel and vent hose with the GoodYear you can get an electric fuel pump from most all Small Engine Service And Repair Shops for around $30.00 ; Grass Hopper , Club Cadet , Toro ect. Zero Turn mowers with 15 HP and up will work fine ; good luck with your quad !

williebee......

Old 11-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Willie Bee,
Thanks for the reply. I will try the hoses and also replace the crappy fuel pump since I did not have tis problem when I got the ATV new. I was told that an electric fuel pump would flood the engine and if I was going to use one to plumb it off to the side of the main fuel line for priming onle and wired with a push starter button.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Fuel Pump Switch Out

Originally Posted by Land_Surveyor
Willie Bee,
Thanks for the reply. I will try the hoses and also replace the crappy fuel pump since I did not have tis problem when I got the ATV new. I was told that an electric fuel pump would flood the engine and if I was going to use one to plumb it off to the side of the main fuel line for priming onle and wired with a push starter button.
So far i haven't had any more issue's with cold starting since i replaced the cheap plastic fuel hose and vent line's with the GoodYear automotive rubber hose , even after letting it sit up for a week between ride's ; the norm for the hard starting when cold took only 1 or 2 day's between ride's .

I could alway's tell when it was going to be hard to start after sitting up when i pushed the prime lever it would feel to soft like there wasn't any fuel pressure in the primer pump , since replacing the fuel/vent hose with the good stuff i can feel the pressure of the fuel on the first pump of the primer lever my thought on this was that the crappy plastic hose was letting the fuel leak back through these plastic hose ; i can only hope you have the same result's with your AC 500 Land without replacing the fuel pump Land_Surveyor good luck !

williebee.......