Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

250 Artic cat, starter won't crank motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 250 Artic cat, starter won't crank motor

Juist picked up a very used 2003 250 Artic Cat. Trying to get it fire for the first time and have discovered the starter seams to be working OK, but the engine don't crank. Pull start is missing completly. I can rotate the "starter clutch gear" with a finger when the starter is removed. Don't have a manual so I'm not sure what's not engaging.. The motor is not seized, I can manually rotate the cup starter from where the pull start is missing and turn the motor over. Any ideas???

Old 01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Range Rover

If it wont turn a load try a new battery or put it on a charger with "start" feature. If it still wont turn your motor over time for a new starter,your starter is junk.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Can you put a socket on the starter cup and attach it to a drill? If so you may be able to turn it over and check the spark. I would not do this with the plug installed as if it does start it will more than likely rip the drill out of your hands.

The fly wheel on your starter should not only spin but also pop out to engage. Quite often it gets corroded and will not pop out but spins. I also am not aware of (unless some here is) of a rebuild kit for these starters. So if charging the battery doesn't work a new starter may be needed.

You may also find that the pull starter is cheaper than the electric starter. It may be better to start by getting one and see what happens.

In machines as used as you are suggesting that the starter does not work and the pull start is missing. I have found the electric starter quit working and then they used the pull start until it broke.

Hope this helps

Swampy

Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. I already pulled the side case off and found the starter clutch gear to be missing about 20% of its teeth. Think I’ve located one, parts and information on Artic Cats seams to be a little hard to come by. I will use the drill to check for spark, great idea.