Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Do you bother with ATV insurance coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Do you bother with ATV insurance coverage?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CamoKodiak450

Have full coverage on 2 quads for less than $200 a year. Just his spring, I was not home and my daughter let a friend on my kodiak 450 and to make a long story short she ran off the road and hit a culvert, smashed her head into the front rack then through her 30 yards in the air. Even with a helment and goggles on the force of her head hittig the rack tore her eye lid nearly off along with other cuts on ther face. When I got on scene her eye ball was the size off a soft ball. I thought for sure she had internal injuries so did the EMT's. So here comes the life flight helichopter @ about $12,000. a ride. To end this imy insurance paid out over $100,000. She healed up fine and her mom got a $20,000 check for her pain and suffering(so she wouldn't sue) I'll never ride without INSURANCE. Shop around, it's cheap and I'd be in the poor house if it wasent for them.</end quote></div>

That's one reason I have it. Not so much for the atv, but the person on it.

When something like that happens, most would be surprised to find out friends do sue friends.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have it on mine a 650 cat and my LTZ , $85.25 a year . i would not be with out ,once or twice a year i goto WV ,you can ride some of the roads, if ya get stopped and dont have it not only is it a ticket but it gos against you recorded in your home state, then ya get to pay more for your insurance.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Funny (actually not so funny) thing happened yesterday. My son and I go riding at the county OHV park. I'm riding about 5mph on a wide one way trail in a large open area. Here comes a guy flying down the hill, swerves to miss me, hits a orange plastic fence which slows the bike and hurls him through the air another 20 yards, missing me by about 20 ft. He knocks himself out but after a few minutes gets up and seems to be OK. One minor scrape but no aches or breaks. He had the typical loss of memory but he came out of the fog pretty quickly. Even though he seemed fine, the park ranger said he had to "cover his butt" so the local FD got called and he was fitted with a C-collar support and stretchered out to the local hospital. I'm sure he will be fine but it just shows how hazardous these crazy things are. Very lucky outcome to a potentially fatal incident. Only a scrape and no scratches on the bike.

Calling my agent right now. :-)

Old 10-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WoodRat

I got a quote from Progressive: for $83 per year with Comprehensive & Collision, at $500 deductible,

Bodily Injury & Property Damage:

$50,000 person/$100,000 accident/$25,000 property damage,

Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury:

$50,000 person/$100,000 accident

Roadside Assistance included,

This is for the 2007 Honda Rancher TRX420FM.

This seems pretty reasonable, and is based on being a home owner with a good driving record, but before I activate it I'll check with the company carrying our multi-vehicle policy, AIG, just to be sure they can't beat it.</end quote></div>

If that company is State Farm, they can't touch it. State Farm quoted me a price 3x as high as Progressive Direct. My agent even recommended that I shop around for a better price. So far, I've been happy with Progressive. I can even manage my account online.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

i too have full coverage for $200.

in my opinion, State Farm is the worst - just read about what they are doing to the people in New Orleans!! I <u>had</u> my home insured with state farm. my experience was deny, deny, OK here is a token $$ to go away - if you don't like it take us to court. Friends, don't just buy the cheapest insurance - check around.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Range Rover

Hey JDQuadRider,

The company that insures our three street vehicles is AIG Auto Insurance, also known as the Insurance Company of the State of PA. It turns out they don't even offer ATV coverage, so it looks like it's Progressive for us. The fact that they have a full-featured website where I can manage the account online is a big plus, since I do all my banking and bill paying via Internet these days anyway.

You mention State Farm, once upon a time we had them for auto insurance but they kept jacking up our rates each renewal period for no apparent reason. When this prompted me to switch, AIG gave us the lowest quote at the time, even beating Progressive, and they have been very good the past few years since. They did a nice job taking care of an accident my wife had and didn't raise our rates over it.