CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

adding brakes to outlander 1000

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiac
Onee thing you are forgetting. When you are in 4wd it doesn't matter which brake you use it affects all the wheels because of the 4wd.

What you're saying makes sense, but it sure didn't feel like that in this situation. That's why we had to ride back up to the top and try descending again. For whatever reason, it got spooky using both brake levers at once for very long. Using just the fronts with occasional taps on the rear worked much better and was much more controllable.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by kick start
Ah ha! The Renegade has two levers?! So Can Am has thought about this. They must feel that their sportier powerhouse bike needs double brakes. Wonder why they felt the Outtie didn't need it too? Especially since it's a heavier bike with the ability to haul more payload........

So now I gotta decide if stealing the brakes off a Reny and putting them on the Outtie now would be better than waiting to see if they put two brakes on the 2013 model................or just settling for one brake for every situation.
I get the feeling they don't consider the Outlander as being as sporty as the Renegade. There are some minor differences but if you go and buy an Outlander 1000 it's not going to be strictly for putting around in low gear enjoying the scenery. You can do that with plenty of enjoyment on a 500. Personally, I've gotten used to a single brake lever and don't mind it, but it would be nice sometimes to have the front brake lever to brake going into a corner while giving it gas to make swinging the rear of the quad around a little easier. (I'm talking about the X2 here.) Maybe it should be a factory option?

Old 11-18-2011, 02:24 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah ha! The Renegade has two levers?! So Can Am has thought about this. They must feel that their sportier powerhouse bike needs double brakes. Wonder why they felt the Outtie didn't need it too? Especially since it's a heavier bike with the ability to haul more payload........

So now I gotta decide if stealing the brakes off a Reny and putting them on the Outtie now would be better than waiting to see if they put two brakes on the 2013 model................or just settling for one brake for every situation.
don't hold your breath- just about every utility will be adopting the single lever soon enough. I like it.
The gave the rene 2 levers because it's a sport hybrid atv- riders will be taking corners hard and braking factors in. the outlander is a utility atv-

Old 11-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beergut
don't hold your breath- just about every utility will be adopting the single lever soon enough. I like it.
The gave the rene 2 levers because it's a sport hybrid atv- riders will be taking corners hard and braking factors in. the outlander is a utility atv-
God save us. What's next? ABS and electronic Traction Control?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

For whatever reason, it got spooky using both brake levers at once for very long. Using just the fronts with occasional taps on the rear worked much better and was much more controllable.
Descending a steep mountain over loose rocks SHOULD be "spooky". Thats kinda the reason to go out there.

You will not find anything more suited or engineered for the type of riding you attempted than the machine you are riding. My suggestion would be to learn how to ride that machine before you go trying to re-engineer their braking system.

I have experienced the Can-Am braking system and I can say, If thats not enough braking and control for you, then you may want to stick to flatter terrain.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by wilson911
Descending a steep mountain over loose rocks SHOULD be "spooky". Thats kinda the reason to go out there.

You will not find anything more suited or engineered for the type of riding you attempted than the machine you are riding. My suggestion would be to learn how to ride that machine before you go trying to re-engineer their braking system.

I have experienced the Can-Am braking system and I can say, If thats not enough braking and control for you, then you may want to stick to flatter terrain.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Kickstart,
you're right, they're wrong, dual lever braking IS better for extreme terrain. Single lever braking has a fixed split of braking power (60/40, or whatever). If you're on a seriously steep downhill you may have 90% of the ATVs weight on the front tires, and only 10% of the ATVs weight on the rear tires. So why do you still want the same fixed split braking power that was designed for flat ground where each end has 50% of the ATVs weight? The rear tires are going to be getting more braking power than they have traction to handle, and the front tires are not going to be getting as much braking power as they can handle. With separate front and rear braking you can apply just how much each end can handle, and control IS better in extreme conditions. NO WAY should you lean back and apply mainly the rear brakes on a steep downhill, that is just asking for uncontrolled tire skid. You can lean back if you want, but most of your braking power will be from the front brakes.

The Renegade 1000 has separate front and rear braking, and all of the parts will bolt right up to an Outlander 1000. It will be expensive though, because you'll need both the front and rear brake levers and perchs, the front and rear brake master cylinders and reservoirs, and the brake lines all around. The rear foot brake is separate, and should work independently.

The Renegade has split braking because it is a performance machine, and it is meant to get into these kind of situations. The Outlander is a cruiser model, designed for comfort and ease of use, so it has single lever braking. The problem is, Can Am is pushing the performance limit more and more with the Outlander. The Outlander 1000 should have separate front and rear brakes if you ask me. I don't plan on converting mine over to separate front and rear brakes though. The single lever brakes are NOT as good, but they work ok. Just be a little more careful than you ordinarily would be, and dont let it get away from you.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:18 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by DesertViper
NO WAY should you lean back and apply mainly the rear brakes on a steep downhill, that is just asking for uncontrolled tire skid. You can lean back if you want, but most of your braking power will be from the front brakes.

you're right...

lean forward and hit those front brakes-

make sure you have insurance on your bike taking DV's advice!

Old 11-19-2011, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

Kickstart,
lets have you go back to that same ball bearing covered downhill, and come down it again. But this time, shift it into two wheel drive, so you can see the full effect of separate front and rear brakes, and come down the hill using mainly just the rear brakes. Lean back as far as you want. Let us know how that works out for you, LOL.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:10 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by DesertViper
Kickstart,
lets have you go back to that same ball bearing covered downhill, and come down it again. But this time, shift it into two wheel drive, so you can see the full effect of separate front and rear brakes, and come down the hill using mainly just the rear brakes. Lean back as far as you want. Let us know how that works out for you, LOL.
DV- do you ride many rocky mountains? Here in New England, much of our riding is up & down mountain sides, many with very steep and rocky trails- I'm not just flapping my gums here bud
Using front brakes descending a steep hill is a bad idea- this is atv riding 101.
Using front brakes while descending will create a loss of control- the atv will want to "plow" over obstacles instead of rolling. If you’re riding your front brakes, while descending, you're also fighting / creating more bar deflection as the front tires hit obstacles and twist because they aren't allowed to roll.

Leaning forward and using the front brakes while descending rapidly & hitting obstacles is suicide! You need to shift your weight over the rear axle to keep the front as light as possible while navigating and jumping over obstacles, you need to prevent the front from digging in which would cause major deflection and will likely flip the atv right over. The steering is a lot quicker, and steering kickback is much more violent.

If the descent is covered with "ball bearings" and no tire is grabbing- it won’t matter what brake you use as a total lack of traction between the tires & terrain renders brakes useless. In this case, you need to slow down the engine- and the atv without skidding and losing control.

If you approach the crest of a hill ready to descend and you are leaning forward- you're finished. Don't know where you learned how to ride, but you're giving some bad advice.

here's a clip from an old atv riding manual copied exactly as it is written- I found in my book case- maybe 12-15 years old, but relevant the same:

When descending a hill you should
Keep both feet firmly in the footwells.
Point the vehicle directly down hill.
Transfer your weight to the rear, in steep down hills bend forward sharply at the waist so that your posterior is over the back of the seat
Shift into low gear and descend with the throttle closed.
Apply brakes to reduce speed (caution with the front brakes!)

I really have nothing else to add to this debate on my end so, I'll leave it at that.

Quick Reply: adding brakes to outlander 1000