1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help please Lynn

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please Lynn

I recently purchased a very cheap Chinese 110cc Quad. Had not been able to determine what brand, but have been ordering parts from an Eagle atv parts place out of Arlington, Tx. Also called TaoTao parts. Made decision based on visual match. parts have been spot on.
Ok, here's what i've done so far.
Replaced the brake/Safety switch and new battery and got it started right up. Here is where things get complicated for me. I can't remember exactly why the battery ran down or how long it took, but i was impatient and cranked up the amps on my battery charger while the battery was still connected to the quad. Bad idea I know. Smoked the main Red wire from the battery to the solenoid. Replaced that wire and checked others for burns. Replaced the battery, which I had also ruined. Now didn't want to turn over. checked solenoid, still gettting power through when start button engaged. Replaced the starter. Old one smelled like burnt wire and oil. Cheap Quad is getting more expensive by the day.New starter in place and it starts and runs fine. about 2 weeks of inactivity battery is dead and won't take a charge, new battery, again and we are going fine. Now I start looking for a power drain. have a little help that is more electrically savvy than myself. we check amperage drain with key off between main red wire and positive battery terminal. appears to be 7.5 milliamps also checked between smaller wire that has fuse and got no amperage draw. Help thinks that could be within normal draw off from diode or something. Replaced the regulator. Now within 4-5 days battery goes from 12.54 volts to about 5 volts. I did check earlier voltage at battery with it running and it only showed 12.54 volts. The same amount in the battery, which tells me that my alternator/stator is not producing? Would or could it cause battery drain and is there any way to test it?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when the quad is revved up, you should see the stator output rise to ~13.4volts at the battery. then you'll know that the stator is charging the system. you may need to check the quick connects on the loom. sometimes the "blades" inside of the quick connects back off and don't make good contact. i'd start there first. as far as a drain, does it have a remote kill or a "dashboard" light of any kind? surely the brake switch ain't drawing on it the whole time.