Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

help with cdi box ??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile help with cdi box ??????

i would like to get some help with this ....not sure if i can do this but worth a try....I posted a while back about the connectors that plug in to the cdi box being bad and was told to try and tighten them up by crimping them...That worked for a little while but the wires that go in to the connectors have been epoxied in to try to hold them in place but they are now beyond repair.....Is it possible to get a cdi that has the wires coming from it so that i could cut my connectors off and also cut the ones off the new box and splice them together or get my own connectors and make them......sorry for the long post but really need some help with this... It is a Coolster 150cc.............thanks

Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've never seen a CDI with wires coming out. If others have then they can jump in and set me straight.

Two possibilties:

1) Buy a wiring harness with the same CDI connector on it, cut that connector off and wire it in.

2) Trim back the plastic connector housing on your CDI exposing the pins, then solder your own wires and connector to the pins themselves. Insulate the pins/wires with shrink tubing and off you go.

If you solder wires to the pins you will want to make sure that the heat applied to the pins doesn't conduct down into the depths of the CDI and unsolder the other end of the pin to the internal circuit board. If you're good at soldering this won't be a problem because the pin length is very long at over 1 inch (the circuit board it solders to is clear down at the bottom of the CDI plastic cup that everything is epoxied into). If you're bad at soldering then before you solder clamp a hemostat or a pair of long nose pliers onto the pin between your wire connection and the rest of the pin extending down into the epoxy. This will divert off enough conducted heat from migrating down to the circuit board that even hack solderers will succeed.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Trailblazer

thanks lynn

Old 09-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer

look on ebay and get a aftermarket cdi. I bought 2 so far 1 for a 200 and 1 for a 150. yes the wires come out of the cdi box. all I did was take off the plastic plug on the end.connect the right colored wires to the wireing harness(soldier and shrink tubing works best). make sure you buy the correct cdi it must be a 4 wire or a 5 wire or a 6 wire , whatevere your stock one is.don't make anything permenet until you have started up the quad to make sure it runs.I think I paid about $50 for each of these.hope this helps.if you need Ican get a pic of the cdi ? Seth 03