1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Spark and other issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark and other issues.

Hey guys i know there has been several spark threads here but i think i have narrowed it down to the remote start/kill module from reading through most of those threads. But want some advice and confirmation.

I have a 110cc 4 stroke with 5 pin cdi box. Other than that i am not sure because i bought this quad used. It ran good when i bought it but it would eat batteries like i have never seen before. If it set for more than a month the battery would be dead then would not take a charge. Anyway that is another issue. But the battery is dead and i use a charger/starter to jump the quad off.

Well as i was hooking up the charger/starter i got distracted and hook the cables up backwards. Well it popped the fuse, 10amp near the battery. I didn't think it did anything other than blowing the fuse however after replacing the fuse the motor would turn over but the quad wouldn't crank. I took out the plug and cleaned it real good put it back in the coil wire and grounded to the motor and tried to crank it and checked for spark. No spark. After read several threads i tried some trouble shooting. I disconnected the kill switch wire from the center wire of the cdi connector, my wire is blue. I pulled the blue wire out and tested for spark and now i had spark. So one of my kill switches are bad or at least thats what i thought.

Tested the kill switches two ways. First with the kill switch blue wire disconnected from the cdi box. Using an analog volt meter with a needle testing continuity sticking the leads together the needle goes to the right. not sure if that is zero or infinity anyway i understand the concept i just may have the terminology wrong. To test I stuck the leads in the connector of the tether switch with it still connected. Since all the kill switches are tie together i thought this would be the best way. Turned all the switches either on or off to get the needle to go to the right. Then i turned each switch on an off individually and the needle would moved from right to left or from infinity to zero or vise versa for each switch. So i figured all the switches were good but i didn't really know how to test the remote start/kill module but i think it over rides the kill switches anyway because if i remember correctly when i could find the remote it would crank regardless of the key switch position or the handlebar kill switch. Not sure about that its been 2 years since i had the remote and a good battery.

Second test was the same test but this time i plugged the blue kill wire back into the cdi connector and plugged the connector back into the cdi box. This time the needle would never go all the way back to the left it would go about half way.
So i thought i had a bad cdi box.

I ordered a new 5 pin cdi box that looked like mine. I also order a new brake leaver with master. Because The kids rode the quad this past sat. with the blue kill wire disconnected from the cdi box. When we went to put it up my son took one last lap around the yard and the brake leaver fell off and i had no idea where or if i could find it.

Got the new parts change the brake first. Since i knew i could crank the quad the way it was i wanted to crank it and get it warmed up so it would start right up and i wouldn't have to spin and spin the starter and wonder if i got the wrong type of cdi box. Kill wire still disconnected from the cdi connector. Keep in mind all i did was change the brake module. When i hooked up the charger/starter and plugged it in to try and start the quad the starter started grinding. At least i think it was the starter. It was a grinding sound not the motor spinning over. Anyway for some reason i dont know why but i decided to unplug the multi wire connector coming from the remote start/kill module and tried it again. i plugged the charger/starter back up and it wasn't making the grinding, so i tried to crank it i got it cranked. Pulled the plug wire off to kill the motor. I plugged the multi wire connector back together and tried again, it made the grindig noise again.

With all this info, sorry for being so long winded but i wanted to make sure gave all the info that i could, so can someone give me any advise or possibly confirm that its not the cdi box but the remote start/kill module. If it is the remote module how can i just take it out or disable its functionality since i cant find the remote anyway.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
David

Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anybody confirm my conclusion or give me any suggestion. Please any advise would be welcomed.

David