General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ITS SPRING, Let's See Your Quads!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
One of my friends oiled his winch cable and turned it into a dirt magnet. I don't know if I've ever oiled one of mine but if I did it was a long time ago. All I do is wind it up straight after I'm done plowing for the year.
thats what i was thinking

Old 03-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by Canwoodsman
How about cost.
Add I already own a perfectly fine winch cable so why replace it?
Synthetic rope doesn't handle rock abrasion nearly as good as metal cable.
To each their own.. But just like cable you should be putting something under the cable/rope when going over rocks. Since i ride with my little girl safety is a priority to me and the chance of a hook flying through the air is a chance im not taking. I also found the cheapest place to buy synth rope is actually a industrial supply. Exact same rope you can buy at a dealer you just have to thread your loops in and that takes all of a few min. Here it was actually cheaper than cable at the dealer.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrock
To each their own.. But just like cable you should be putting something under the cable/rope when going over rocks. Since i ride with my little girl safety is a priority to me and the chance of a hook flying through the air is a chance im not taking. I also found the cheapest place to buy synth rope is actually a industrial supply. Exact same rope you can buy at a dealer you just have to thread your loops in and that takes all of a few min. Here it was actually cheaper than cable at the dealer.
eBay also has good bargains on synthetic rope for winches. I've used both and like the rope better personally. I had more breakage with the cable than with the rope when plowing. I like that it's a little lighter weight-wise. Big plus is I can handle it without gloves. Handy when you've got your hand underwater trying to find a good spot to put the hook on to drag out your buddy, without getting your riding gloves soaked. A good synthetic rope has almost no stretch so the flying hook isn't as much of an issue. As others have said, put a blanket or coat over the cable/rope if you can. Just random thoughts. Oh yeah, for those that are into color coordination, you can get the winch rope in a bunch of different colors.

We're good at hijacking threads.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a day of freezing rain,mine is still under the cover. Will get pics when it's out.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not much to see other than garbage blown in from my neighbors. I wish they would clean up their mess or move somewhere else.

Attached Thumbnails ITS SPRING, Let's See Your Quads!!-3-25-16.jpg  
Old 03-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Here's my ride.

Name:  B9048CAF-BDA1-4B94-9801-66CC1F9BF0C8_zps1stdiv80.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  294.6 KB

Old 03-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
eBay also has good bargains on synthetic rope for winches. I've used both and like the rope better personally. I had more breakage with the cable than with the rope when plowing. I like that it's a little lighter weight-wise. Big plus is I can handle it without gloves. Handy when you've got your hand underwater trying to find a good spot to put the hook on to drag out your buddy, without getting your riding gloves soaked. A good synthetic rope has almost no stretch so the flying hook isn't as much of an issue. As others have said, put a blanket or coat over the cable/rope if you can. Just random thoughts. Oh yeah, for those that are into color coordination, you can get the winch rope in a bunch of different colors.

We're good at hijacking threads.
LOL.. yep sorta got off track. But information like this is a good thing as some people do not realize the dangers of winching. Iv seen way to many close calls over the years especially when i was 4x4ing and a 12000lb winch like breaks and goes through the back window and out the front missing the driver by less than a inch. Their have been far to many deaths and injury's over the years do to improper techniques or just freak accident.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is our pair of 2016 Ranchers we just got.

Attached Thumbnails ITS SPRING, Let's See Your Quads!!-img_20160326_181000991.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BB70Chevelle
Here is our pair of 2016 Ranchers we just got.
Congratulations on the new rides!

Old 03-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Gorgeous Day Yesterday, grabbed a pic.

Name:  Polaris%203_zpsfrl2cpwb.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  388.9 KB

Quick Reply: ITS SPRING, Let's See Your Quads!!