General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Good sized quad for an advanced 14-15 year old

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good sized quad for an advanced 14-15 year old

Hi everybody, I was just wonder I got what was a good sized quad for me. I am 14 going on 15 and am an advanced rider. I have been riding for years but not frequently until a couple years ago. I started with a Suzuki 230e about two and a half years ago then got a blaster for about 6-7 months. Sold the blaster back in February then got a raptor 350 with an hmf exhaust and k and n filter in May. Sold the raptor for 1900 a couple weeks ago and was looking at a 400ex. Moral of he story is it was a good deal because it had a wider axle different gearing an intake full sparks exhaust stage two cam with ported heads and different valves and a rev box and race suspension and nerf bars and air scoops and cut fenders and 18" holeshots

, the mx works. The quad was built by qaud customs and was fast. But then my dad got on it and said it was too fast for me. Basically what I was wondering is if a stock 400 would be good for me or if the race mods on the one 400 isn't too far from stock. Also looking if they're too fast for me in your opinion if I should start looking elsewhere. Still have the 230 but was looking for something a bit faster and something that I can go to my local trail and not wear myself out because the suspension because the 230s suspension isn't great. Thanks

Old 09-21-2016, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a stock exhaust and see if that tames it down enough for him. I really don't think stockers are all that fast if you have 2 years experience on the 230 and blaster. The thing is, that aftermarket suspension and width will make that so much more stable. Even if it is a bit faster than stock this things would be preferable. Keep in mind your parents really have to keep your maturity and risk taking etc in mind. At this point dad has to have ultimate say.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

400ex is perfect just get one with no problems

Old 09-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I read the original post wrong the first time. I thought he already had the 400ex. Its apparently one he's looking at to buy. I'd just get one that's stock. This one has a modified engine. That's great for racing but won't be as reliable as a stock engine. Looks like they've made it so wide with the custom suspension that while it makes it more stable, it will make it harder to fit on tight trails. I assume this machine was used for racing so it probably was ridden hard and abused. I'd steer clear of this one and get one that's completely stock. It won't be as fast but it will run forever. This modified for racing 400ex will require a lot more maintenance.