Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 Honda Rubicon Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Honda Rubicon Questions

First of all, I am new to this forum but looking at the responses it looks to be a good forum. I recently sold my Polaris and picked up a new Rubicon GPScape. I have a couple of questions for you experienced folks out there.

Has anyone experienced any problems shifting. It seems like mine will get stuck in gear and I have to force it into Neutral and Reverse sometimes.

With the Polaris, after the initial 20-30 hours they recommended it be brought back in for adjustment. Should I do the same for my Honda? I have already changed the oil (due to sucking in water via tailpile) a couple of times but do I need to get the valves adjusted or anything like that?

Last question: Like most, we all like for our ATV to run better and faster. Looking at this forum some people are recommending cutting the throttle spring. Anyone have any pics or good instructions on how to do this? Also, what other inexpensive mods are available? I jetted my Polaris along with a new pipe and K&N but did not notice any great changes. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Happy Riding!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

You need to put some Polaris love into it! Just pulling your chain, I saw your other post from Devil Anse!

Old 11-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had that problem with my transmission too when I bought mine in August.

I fixed it by increasing the idle speed a bit and the problem went away.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Trailblazer

Polaris Love? I tried that on my last ATV and the dealer got more love than I did seeing how they were always fixing it.

I did increase the idle speed after i first got it. I need to check it again top see how it is shifting now. Thanks for the input!

Old 11-15-2006, 12:34 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

just tap the throttle and the tranny will free up, as for the valves-always good to check but every honda i own are spot on every time

Old 11-15-2006, 01:23 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Are you talking when your in ES mode. On my old 450 ES and my friends 06 500 Foremans (two of them) to get them in neutral sometimes, we just had to give them a slight rock while sitting on them. There may be a way to adjust it but the problem was so minor it was not worth the down time to have the dealer look at it.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think if your Honda get's stuck in gear you would need to decrease your idle speed instead of increase it , however i never owned a Rubicon ES or any Honda with the ES system ; but my first ATV was a Honda an 86' Honda TRX 350 foreman full time 4wd manual shift and it was a great machine ! My brother own's a 2002 Honda TRX 350 Rancher full time 4wd manual shift ( "non ES") and the only trouble he had with it was a factory recall for some defect with the tie rods , he rode his for over a year after he got the recall notice from Honda ; mainly because the dealer told him it might take 2 to 3 week's before they could get to it ! They weren't trying to jerk him around , it was because they're a large volume dealer and had a backlog of service and repair ahead of his ; however when he finally took it in for the recall his warrantee had already ran out. But they did install all tie rods with the new one's at no charge and it only took 1 day for the fix , and even though with the recall they would've had to replace them at no charge if he had waited 4 yrs to have them replaced ; his dealer told him they would have replaced them free anyway ! They are a good dealer and their main concern is to keep the customer's happy , for future repeat sale's ! Sorry for such a long reply , and i know this is not the case in point with your problem ; now i will get to the issue at hand ! I bought a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 auto fis on feb. 7th 2006 and i had a simular problem with the shift getting stuck in gear ( "I know my cat " ) is not a Honda , so i'm not trying to get you to change brand's i would've gotten a new Rancher like my brother's if i could've gotten financing through Honda but i couldn't get the financing for a Honda ! Now the reason i stated i thought reducing the idle speed instead of increasing it fixed the shift problem on my Cat ! I've been a small engine tech for over 20 yrs. and even though my year's of service was in the field of mainly Lawn and Garden , but i started working on ATV's after getting soaked by the ATV dealer's here in my area ("different Honda dealer") so i started working on my own ATV and family and friend's ! Again Sorry for the long novel reply , i just like to explain in as much detail as i can any time i try to help out any of the great people on these forum's ; and this is what we're all here to help each other in time of need ! Ok i'm done with the novel , try decreasing your idle speed and like the kind folk's who offered sugguestion's like rocking the atv to get it out of gear is good advice ; also try giving it a little tap on the gas then shift it work's on my cat. And it get's better with every mile i put on it , i only have 198 mile's on the cat and everybody say's after 500 , 800 to 1000 mile's it's just the begaining and get's better with the proper maintence on all new Quad's ! So i hope this ease's your mind and is of some help and welcome to the forum ; and may God Bless All the great people here on the forum's , keep up the good work everyone ! ........................williebee