Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300EX Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300EX Modifications

Hello,

I have a 1996 Honda 300EX and I am trying to get a bit more power out of it.

Right now, the only thing new on it is a Uni Air filter (stock one was falling apart).

I have done a bit of research and found what seem to be the most popular first modifications.

1. Pipe
2. Headers
3. Air filter
4. Jetting

Now, I know absolutely nothing about which pipe to get, which headers to get, or what size jets to go to...

I mainly do trail riding, and go to the dunes once or twice a year. Because I will be on some trails, and possibly be using this quad to go hunting, I need a pipe that isn't too loud. I saw the new HMF pipes have a silencer that can go into them. However I am on a VERY tight budget at the moment, and am not sure if I should spend the money I have on a $250 pipe, or a cheaper one. Now for the headers, i have absolutely no clue what I should get. Ive heard about some FMF's but once again, I dont have $300 to spend on a powercore. As far as the jets go, I know that I have to go bigger to get more gas, but exactly how big should I go?

Once again, I am on a VERY VERY tight 15 year old budget.

Any information/recommendations whatsoever will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

-Pain

Old 07-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out eBay, lots of good used parts for quads. As far as an exhaust, most come with the pipe and silencer, don't just put on a silencer, the stock 300ex pipe is very small and restrictive. Supertrapp and FMF or White Bros. makes a good pipe with an adjustable baffle end plate that will let you set up the sound output and performance by adding or subtracting discs. Any exhaust work done, you should look into either drilling holes in the lid, or getting an Outerwears velcro-on cover, the stock air intake is only 2 little frame tubes, not much air flow for the motor. Any aftermarket foam filter is great, maybe keep a K&N on hold for the dunes (with Outerwears cover). If you can find a used one,or a cheaper new one, get a modded CDI box with at least a +1000 rpm limit, the stock rev limit is so low, when you free up the intake and exhaust, you will rev quicker, and hit the limit very fast, cutting off a lot of performance gains, or change the gearing to keep the rpms down in each gear. I'm sure there are a lot of others with great ideas, these are the ones I used on my son's 300ex, and they worked great.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 95wolv

check out eBay, lots of good used parts for quads. As far as an exhaust, most come with the pipe and silencer, don't just put on a silencer, the stock 300ex pipe is very small and restrictive. Supertrapp and FMF or White Bros. makes a good pipe with an adjustable baffle end plate that will let you set up the sound output and performance by adding or subtracting discs. Any exhaust work done, you should look into either drilling holes in the lid, or getting an Outerwears velcro-on cover, the stock air intake is only 2 little frame tubes, not much air flow for the motor. Any aftermarket foam filter is great, maybe keep a K&N on hold for the dunes (with Outerwears cover). If you can find a used one,or a cheaper new one, get a modded CDI box with at least a +1000 rpm limit, the stock rev limit is so low, when you free up the intake and exhaust, you will rev quicker, and hit the limit very fast, cutting off a lot of performance gains, or change the gearing to keep the rpms down in each gear. I'm sure there are a lot of others with great ideas, these are the ones I used on my son's 300ex, and they worked great.</end quote></div>

I would get one with both a header and a muffler, but they seem to be going for around $500 for HMF, and $500-$600 for FMF...

Somewhere I read about a deal where you buy an FMF Muffler, and they throw in a header for free. If I could find that deal, I would definitally do that...

For the air filter, I was thinking I might just get rid of the box completely.

I never really thought about getting a new CDI box, but that is a good idea!

So now, the only help that I really need is on what muffler/header to get...

Any more input will be appreciated!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would get one with both a header and a muffler, but they seem to be going for around $500 for HMF, and $500-$600 for FMF...

I have a 1998 300ex and i bought a complete system from fmf and a jet kit from fmf for about 330$ fmf powercore sa

DennisKirk.com

Old 09-04-2008, 02:45 AM
Trailblazer

What about some sort of Cam?

What cams are most popular?

What about changing the gears up or down a few teeth?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hotcams stage 1
web cams all kinds
(but with web cams you need all kinds of other mods like valve springs and hardweld rockers, but shell SCREAM)