Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

wheel looked like a bmx tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel looked like a bmx tire

i was takin a run up to road on the EX yesterday and when i hit top speed i looked ddown at my tire it went from bein 7 inches wide to bein 3 or 4 at the most it freaked me out so i slowed down and the tire got wider again and the tire had good air in it to what was goin on?

Old 08-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

You were going TOO FAST young man ! Slow Down !

Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is normal for the most part......

It is called centrifugal force....... it is what happens to a bias ply tire when rotation goes beyond later stability...... well it can happen to a radial too, but they have a higher threshold by nature which is one reason car tires are all now radials......

Didn't you ever play baseball with one of those "soft" baseballs or softballs? Sometimes you hit them hard enough and just right - they spin so fast then look like UFOs - they turn oblong while they are spinning faster then they are moving forward.......

Basically if your tires are older or tired, it will happen easier then if they are new. On a bias ply tire, the rubber layers get tired after a while and cannot hold their shape as well anymore.......radials too can eventually get there but it takes longer since the bands of steel or fiber are stronger then rubber......... you have to be careful because the tires are more prone to failure when operating in that range. Any extra impact to the sidewall at that speed and the tire could fail.......

Generally this happens a lot more to rear tires, since they are spinning a lot more.... maybe your tires are getting a little old? If so I would stay away from top speed for a while until you can replace them with some new meats.....

Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

ill take ur word for it i just never noticed it happen before or at least not that bad

Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well how old are your tires? They may not have been doing it all along..... as I said, the older they get the more you will notice it......

Old 08-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

they are pretty warn