Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Howdy Y'all

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Cheapskate Extrordinaire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy Y'all

Looking forward to lots of good reading and information. Hopefully I can add a little here and there, too.

I ride a 2008.5 Polaris Sportsman 500HO carb. It has been a fun fun fun machine but it has also been in the shop quite a bit since 2011 when I bought it. I believe that the owner before me was not very good to it.

Repair &/or Replaced:
Carb boot
Carb clean & adjust (main jet clogged up) (by a mechanic)
Starter (DB Electric)
Recoil (replaced pull rope, cleaned and lubed the pins and works inside - had been full of water for long time)
Front Diff (three times - third is the charm I hope)
-Rollers, cage, armature
CV boot (one more is due, a small tear I have patched temporarily)
Battery
Couple of drain plugs (why do they suck so bad?)

Now it is in the shop again for unknown cause - loss of power under throttle/uphill/in water - still trying to figure that one out.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear of your issues. Hopefully see you on the trails soon. Anywhere in NY you ride in particular?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Cheapskate Extrordinaire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TUG, North Shore Oneida

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Sorry to hear of your issues. Hopefully see you on the trails soon. Anywhere in NY you ride in particular?
Hey yeah I'm not complaining, at least not too much haha. My good friend once told me that if you're going to have a machine that is THAT much fun, it will have some offset (expense). So I am glad that my only offset this far has been on my wallet and some knuckle skin. I'm not afraid of a wrench and will gladly trade some blood, sweat and tears if it is something I can do myself. I have seen people wreck, and we read it every week in the paper about someone going off to the hospital as a result of an ATV accident. So a few repairs is an acceptable trade - off, I guess. IF it has to be, that is. I absolutely love that machine and I am always amazed at what that thing goes through/over/around in the woods.

We ride the SNIRT each year, and then a few weeks after that we go up to the Tug Hill for a weekend ride each year. This year we're also going to do the Buck Run (name?) at the end of the season up there. Mostly we ride around the north shore of Oneida Lake, and other than that my machine gets me around our camp hauling wood, water, treestands, anything we can think of.

I am thinking about joining up with a club I heard about that is somewhere relatively close, in the north country, with miles of trails with varying skill levels, and camping, etc.. I am not yet familiar with it - I dont even know what it is called but I think it has the word "Pine" in it - but I heard about it from a couple of guys we rode with in May.

How about you? Sounds like you are somewhere nearby, based on your response.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DOAinNY
Hey yeah I'm not complaining, at least not too much haha. My good friend once told me that if you're going to have a machine that is THAT much fun, it will have some offset (expense). So I am glad that my only offset this far has been on my wallet and some knuckle skin. I'm not afraid of a wrench and will gladly trade some blood, sweat and tears if it is something I can do myself. I have seen people wreck, and we read it every week in the paper about someone going off to the hospital as a result of an ATV accident. So a few repairs is an acceptable trade - off, I guess. IF it has to be, that is. I absolutely love that machine and I am always amazed at what that thing goes through/over/around in the woods.

We ride the SNIRT each year, and then a few weeks after that we go up to the Tug Hill for a weekend ride each year. This year we're also going to do the Buck Run (name?) at the end of the season up there. Mostly we ride around the north shore of Oneida Lake, and other than that my machine gets me around our camp hauling wood, water, treestands, anything we can think of.

I am thinking about joining up with a club I heard about that is somewhere relatively close, in the north country, with miles of trails with varying skill levels, and camping, etc.. I am not yet familiar with it - I dont even know what it is called but I think it has the word "Pine" in it - but I heard about it from a couple of guys we rode with in May.

How about you? Sounds like you are somewhere nearby, based on your response.
I am over in Rochester. Lots of riding in the Oswego and Lewis county clubs but I haven't been in years. A lot of my crew goes to Tall Pines in Andover, Majestic near Bradford PA, and I just joined Demon Run. Hard to beat that place for the price.