Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

07' Foreman ES hard shift....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07' Foreman ES hard shift....

I have a 2007 Foreman ES that has a hard shift into Neutral. I took it hunting today, and when I went to get it in and out of my truck, I had trouble getting it to shift into N from 1st. I could hear the control motor wanting to shift, but it just wasn't clicking in. I had to shift it up to 2nd, then back down or rock it to get it to shift. Anyone else seen this problem. It's still under my 6 month ext warranty, and i'm considering bringing it in. I asked every sales guy I talked to before buying this D*MN Electric Shift machine and every one of them said they have NOOOO problems with them(and suggested I NOT go with the manual shift I wanted). Yet, I HAVE NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!!!! I've already had water in the connectors(greased and dried them all after the code 3). Now it doesn't want to shift. I really wish I'da forked out the extra money for the Can-Am.....

P.S. it's getting cold up here, and it was snowing today while i was in the woods. I didn't ride it long enough to get it warm, just in and out of the truck....

Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

my froeman es douse the same thing sometimes. i just rock it side-to-side while downshifting. i agree with you, manual shifts NEVER have this problem. a clutch adjustment helps with the frequency of the problem.

hope this helps

Old 10-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

With my manual shift bike, sometimes I have to rock the bike front to back to get it to shift because the gears are not lined up. This would also happen with an ES bike as your only using an electric motor to operate the same transmission.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cherokee99

manual shifts NEVER have this problem.

hope this helps</end quote></div>

umm wrong.. its like a bike you dont shift gears when not moving on it becasue the gears arnt moving..?? my recon manaul NOT ES does this, you just have to rock it back n fourth..

Old 10-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

I called my dealer, and they said seeing as it only happens when trying to shift into Neutral, it's problably a clutch misadjustment. I have the manual and have already ready the procedure. If I remember correctly it happens when it's cold more so then after it warms up. What I'm wondering, is should I drive the bike and get it warm before I do the clutch adjustment. Or will I be ok if I bring it to work and leave it inside for a while to warm up and just adjust it from there??

Old 10-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

i do my clutch adjustments cold and haven't had a problem. o and hondarider94 i was talking from my own experiance, road for 4ish years with friends and I/THEY HAVE NEVER HAD THAT HAPPEN ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN ES. but your rite it could happen to any atv.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the emergency shifter, while in neutral, shift and hold the lever into first but don't release it, hold it up. While holding up, rev the engine, this should be clutch position and the engine should rev like it is in neutral. If it does not rev and wants to creep the unit ahead while in clutch position, hold the brakes while holding the lever in clutch position and give it throttle until the clutch breaks loose (engine freewheels without moving the quad). Release the lever and shift to neutral with the emergency shifter. Turn the key off and back on again. The electric shift should work fine. Sometimes adjusting the clutch will not free stuck clutch discs

----- Gimpster -----