Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

choices choices choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If both machines had an equal amount of power, that might be the case. Your Polaris has a substantial amount more power than the 500 Foreman. So yes there probably is some power loss. There's always power loss no matter what kind of transmission you have. But the Polaris engine will still outperform the Honda engine. I know someone will reply that beating someone in a drag race isn't important but it does show which machine is peppier. I think the power loss isn't that significant for cvts unless its a very small displacement machine, like around 300cc or less and if the small displacement machine has poor power to weight ration. I drag raced a 335 sportsman with a 250cc Yamaha Timberwolf before and I smoked that 335 sportsman because its an overweight turd. The Timberwolf weighs about 250 lbs less so that made up for the 335 having slightly more power. In this case, the Honda still weighs a little less but its not enough to overcome the difference in power. The point is, a cvt machine has to have more power and not weigh significantly more to be faster. Both systems have their good and bad points and at the end of the day, its whatever you prefer anyway.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sportsman still has a 9HP advantage over your friends foreman given that it's the 05-11 body style (26vs35). that's a huge difference when talking fairly low powered machines. I've raced my neighbors sportsman 500 EFI with my 2008 rubicon a few years ago and lost by about 1.5 lengths in 100 yards on grass but I actually got a slight jump from 0-15. Probably came down to gearing. We both came to the conclusion that if anyone bought either bike for drag racing, they made the wrong choice lol

It's not debatable that different drive lines can alter rear wheel HP numbers though. CVTs are among the least efficient transmissions in transferring power. They are cheap and reliable though so as long as you put a decent motor behind it, it not a problem.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:22 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The sportsman still has a 9HP advantage over your friends foreman given that it's the 05-11 body style (26vs35). that's a huge difference when talking fairly low powered machines.
That's my point should not the Sportsmans 9hp advantage over the Foreman not be cancelled out by its inafecfent CVT and weight?

My 350 CVT also accelerates and goes as fast as a 350 5speed Rancher.

We will never know about high powered big Bores because they are all CVT,they do not make a non-CVT 4x4 that breaks 40hp to find out.

I seen a CVT 660 Grizzly spank a 3 speed 680 Rincon if that counts.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
That's my point should not the Sportsmans 9hp advantage over the Foreman not be cancelled out by its inafecfent CVT and weight?

My 350 CVT also accelerates and goes as fast as a 350 5speed Rancher.

We will never know about high powered big Bores because they are all CVT,they do not make a non-CVT 4x4 that breaks 40hp to find out.

I seen a CVT 660 Grizzly spank a 3 speed 680 Rincon if that counts.
I'm sure you've seen it all

Old 01-11-2015, 02:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Except for the Suzuki Ozark, Honda is basically the only manufacturer that even makes utility machines that are not cvt automatic. That's what people want and that's why they make them. Honda leads in utility sales partly because they make more models than anyone else but yes their machines are reliable and tough. Honda gets repeat sales. Most new atv owners, especially new riders, have gotten used to not having to shift and that's what they buy. I think its safe to assume that cvt does rob some power but for inexperienced riders, its a more efficient and easier way to get power to the ground. Not knowing when to shift leaves the machine in the wrong gear and you're not getting maximum performance. Big displacement 4x4 utility machines easily overcome any losses caused by cvt transmissions and make for more user-friendly machines as well. If anyone would attempt a more powerful semi-auto utility, Honda would most likely be the one but things are going too well so why mess with success. The Rincon is severely underpowered, I would think it would be overdue for a drivetrain upgrade but will Honda do it? In another post I think I may know why they won't. It would cost too much and wouldn't sell. Its cheaper and easier to just slightly tweak the models they already have.