Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New Rider Buying First Quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider Buying First Quad

Hello!

I've finally gotten tired of being couped up in my home summer after summer so I've decided to get an atv to pass some time. I'm 20 and roughly 6,2 145 pounds (skinny, I know) and I'm looking to buy a used atv using an online community site. I've driven an automatic utility wheeler ages ago but I know as much as a typical beginner.

My area mostly has trails and dirt roads but there's quite a lot of straight aways and abandoned highways as well. Also, I like to go fast (but not fast enough to get myself killed, obviously).

Also, I'm looking for something durable since I will be buying used and I won't know the quads history. I heard Hondas are good and don't require much maintenance. I'm thinking a sport with around 450cc but honestly I have no idea.

How many cc's would you recommend for a 145 pound 20 year old? And if you know of any models that would be good choices, let me know! And would manual be a bad choice as a beginner? Also, any beginner tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Old 07-17-2015, 11:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hondas do tend to be reliable, but any of the big 4 Japanese offerings will be good. I would stay away from the 450 race quads for now. They require a bit more maintenance and like to push the pace more than you may be ready for initially.

The 400ex and z400 are both excellent machines with torquey motors that will make learning a clutch a breeze. With just a few minutes instruction before hand and about 15-20 minutes of struggling, my then 14 year old was just fine with a clutch. Heck, I learned in about an hour with no prior instruction when I was 14.

Honorable mention to the 700 raptor. All these machines demand respect, this one even more so. If you are the type that can honestly keep your ego in check and ride within your limits, you could start out here and be fine.

I would highly suggest an atv safety course, or at the very least find a knowledgeable person to walk you through the basics.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Newbie also

Just to give you something to think about I'm 6'2" 240 and ride a 84 trx 200cc in the forrests of oregon around my house. Cost me 545$ and goes good, fast enough for me. Shifting is easy, don't worry about that part. Oh by the way I wouldn't rec getting anything with a cvt drive system... Easy, but no ground power.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd 2nd the 400ex would be a great choice. Its clutch is easier to master than the ultra touchy 450cc racing quads like a yfz450. Can probably find one in good shape for around $2000 or so, that's about what they go for in my area anyway. More than sufficient power for most as well. Tons of accessories available too if you want to customize it. Very reliable and tough machines.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd also recommend the Honda 400ex. I've seen plenty of them and they seem to hold up well. Pretty good top end. Shifting is pretty easy to learn. If you want ease a lot of the older 250's from the Japanese makers had semi automatic transmissions where you just use the foot shifter and don't need to hold in a clutch handle to shift. Honestly, any speed over 10 mph can kill you in the right conditions. Obviously, the faster you go the more likely you are to get injured in an accident. Even the 250's could get up to 50 mph or more.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Will throw in my bid for the 400ex as well. Cheap. Reliable. Plenty of power for room to grow on, but not a savage like the 450's. Also agree with Moose on getting killed at low speed. You could do that simply loading your quad onto a trailer or truck, but, excessive speed increases your chances greatly.

Good luck in your search and be safe

Old 02-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Rolling on 3 (wheels)

I guess the verdict is in, I agree with getting an older Honda, an old Fourtrax 200-350 is a dead simple and reliable machine, Semi auto, 4-Stroke, good for 50-55 MPH. You could also go with one less wheel and get an old Honda ATC three wheeler, but riding one of those is a little different than a quad though, and some leaning is required in turns. theyre just as rock solid as the fourtrax quads, just as fast, sometimes a little faster than the same sized quad, easier to pull wheelies, and you can pick them up for next to nothing most of the time (except for the X or R series racing trikes)

My Honda ATC 185s has been to hell and back, and still keeps going!

Just remember to inspect your potential purchase and give it a test ride to check for any problems.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a YFB250. AND the one I'm thinking about buying needs the pinions in the rear replaced.. sIs it worth my time and money?
I live in Canada FYI.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:27 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If your shopping used, the bang for the buck camps are the Honda 400ex or Suzuki 400z. If you have more to spend a 700 Yamaha Raptor.

The 450s are motocross motors so only so many hours be fore rebuild is needed.