Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hondas back!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honda's dual clutch transmission does "shift" if you choose manual mode. In auto mode, it shifts for you. And you can still flip the paddle shifters in auto mode if you want. I would think the auto mode would be preferred for most riding except very slow work chores, especially pushing a plow or towing a heavy trailer. I would have to experience it for myself to determine if it is as seemless as a cvt auto or even outperforms it, I can't say from just reading about it or watching a biased video with a salesman in it trying to sell you the machine. The only drawback I see to any of Honda's automatic transmissions is if they do eventually need work, it will cost a fortune to fix, much like an automotive transmission. A cvt belt usually costs about $100. This is what Honda has chosen to do for their auto trans machines. For some reason, they have a probia of belt driven cvt auto systems. They believe this gear on gear cvt dual clutch system is superior. It is technically more advanced, I will give them that.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much the same concerns I have. If it breaks down out of warranty it will be a pricey fix.

Granted I'm not in the market for a sxs anyway.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

I'm still trying to figure out the comparison between a jeep and a sxs. If you've ever drove a sxs there is no comparison.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
Honda's dual clutch transmission does "shift" if you choose manual mode. In auto mode, it shifts for you. And you can still flip the paddle shifters in auto mode if you want. I would think the auto mode would be preferred for most riding except very slow work chores, especially pushing a plow or towing a heavy trailer. I would have to experience it for myself to determine if it is as seemless as a cvt auto or even outperforms it, I can't say from just reading about it or watching a biased video with a salesman in it trying to sell you the machine. The only drawback I see to any of Honda's automatic transmissions is if they do eventually need work, it will cost a fortune to fix, much like an automotive transmission. A cvt belt usually costs about $100. This is what Honda has chosen to do for their auto trans machines. For some reason, they have a probia of belt driven cvt auto systems. They believe this gear on gear cvt dual clutch system is superior. It is technically more advanced, I will give them that.
I think just about every vehicle industry believes that a dual clutch trans is superior to a CVT, especially one that utilizes a rubber belt. They are putting DCTs in every type of performance vehicle nowadays from high performance motorcycles, exotic sports cars and now off road bikes/Atvs and UTVs.

The truth of the matter is that a CVT WILL without a doubt suffer from more parasitic driveline lose than a DCT. There is no torque converter to rob power like a traditional automatic transmission. It's why they are putting these things in million dollar hyper cars like the Laferrari and the P1. You won't see a CVT in anything bigger than a economy car and even they utilize a much more advanced steel belt design, some even with shiftable gear ratios.

Now in terms of reliability, I too don't see a problem with a CVT transmission, Atleast in ATVs. However, there is a lot more that can go wrong internally then just a blow belt. CVTs have gear boxes to convert the power to the differential and they also have expensive clutch components that are just as suseptable to damage as any gear on gear transmission.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 308 Likes on 302 Posts

I think all of you are letting your imagination run wild. Until someone sees inside the gearbox we don't know what it is like. "Dual clutch" is often used on Quad adverts now and simply means they have a primary and secondary clutch like they have always had. I remember the adverts when the 06 Honda 420 came out featuring "AP traclock 4WD system" When you take it apart, it is the same simple dog clutch as was fitted to the rusting horse drawn farm equipment I remember from my childhood, and nothing like as sophisticated as the electro-magnetic one used on the 450 and 500 Foremen. No worse for that as there is less to go wrong, but hardly worth making a feature of.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by merryman
I think all of you are letting your imagination run wild. Until someone sees inside the gearbox we don't know what it is like. "Dual clutch" is often used on Quad adverts now and simply means they have a primary and secondary clutch like they have always had. I remember the adverts when the 06 Honda 420 came out featuring "AP traclock 4WD system" When you take it apart, it is the same simple dog clutch as was fitted to the rusting horse drawn farm equipment I remember from my childhood, and nothing like as sophisticated as the electro-magnetic one used on the 450 and 500 Foremen. No worse for that as there is less to go wrong, but hardly worth making a feature of.
It's without a doubt a dual clutch gearbox. Honda has been using them on ATVs since the 07 Rancher AT and have continued to develope them into new machines over the years. The new 100 has 6 gears, paddleshifters and 2 automatic drive modes (sport,standard). It also has a sub trans with 6 low gears of its own. Have you watched the video?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

No doubt it's different than the Rubicon transmission, likely heavier, extra gear, etc., but basics of it should be ~similar I'd think. Might be able to get a very rough idea of how expensive by talking to someone that has worked on one of them.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:05 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

Here is how the Dual clutch works, Porsche developed the DSG (direct shift gear) decades ago and then VW started to use them 10 years ago. I have one in my Passat TDI and its the best transmission iv ever owned.
Engagement is by the clutch, the computer has already pre selected the next gear and only needs to switch clutches! So when your floored the transition from one clutch to another is made in a few milliseconds.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a brilliant idea. Not new either, just new to atv and side by sides. Only Honda has embraced this technology so far. Perhaps others will adopt it as well. Cvt auto transmissions are so popular and are very much entrenched in the industry. This dual-clutch auto is much more efficient and should be more reliable as well. Implementing it will cost money and that's probably the main reason why nobody else has done it. R&D costs would push the price of the atv or side by side too high initially and it would suffer poor sales. Honestly, Honda is experiencing that right now. The models with this transmission ARE overpriced for the level of performance they produce. But because its Honda, people are ok with overpaying for less performance. No other manufacturer can get away with that. Honda's reputation for reliability gives them the leeway to overprice their machines and still have great sales. At some point, customer's loyalty will run out but it hasn't yet.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:36 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

Honda is on the perfect track, the DSG or dual clutch is 100% efficient where as the older but much more modern outgoing hondamatic is less efficient but a billion times more complex, and its been rock solid since 2001 when I waited in line to get the very first Rubicon my area received. So new my tires were pretty warn down from test drives of employees on pavement!
Here is how the older but more complex hondamatic works, and Honda made this thing ultra reliable!

Quick Reply: Hondas back!!