07 Rubicon Error Code 4 TPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Rubicon Error Code 4 TPS

Hello. I'm new here so bear with me...

I have a 07 Rubicon (TRX500FGA)

A little background on how this problem occurred. Long story short, I was riding a little too hard and the front end slammed down pretty hard coming off of a hill. The atv threw error code 5 at me which, as I understand, is the angle sensor system/control motor lock. Apparently the problem corrected itself and I now no longer get code 5 anymore, even after performing code retrieval and erasing codes, redoing the process. The carburetor was pulled and cleaned a while back and now I get error code 4 (tps voltage out of specified value) on my display. I pulled the TPS from the carb and cleaned it as well as its' connectors and dielectric greased everything, still flashing code 4.

Checked resistance of the sensor terminals and it's reading around 5 kΩ which is within service manual recommended range of 4-6. Voltage readings of the wire harness connector terminals is 5 volts, which is within the recommended 4.7-5.3 volt range. When measuring TPS terminals while operating the throttle lever I get readings around 2 kΩ when fully close and 7.5 kΩ when fully open, which is way out of sync. Service manual has it at 0.5 to 4.0-6.0 kΩ when fully close/open.

So bad sensor or should I look somewhere else? I'm a novice and pretty clueless now lol. I have a new TPS set on the way from Partzilla so I plan on installing that ASAP. I plan on checking the ECM terminals at some point, however, it's a bSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word having to take the front fender off just to get to it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you put the dielectric grease on the contacts? Dielectric grease is non- conductive and can cause an open or high resistance circuit. Hope this helps.