Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Gas Problem...Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2001 honda recon, there seems to be alot of gas coming out of the overflow out of the bottom of the carb. I don't actually know if there is more than normal of it is just because it all piles up on my skidplate. Anyways when I'm riding (not doing any wheelies) and I stop i can smell gas really strong and my skidplate is all wet. This really sucks because of high as prices, so if anybody knows what is causing this to happen and how to fix it PLEASE reply.

Old 08-07-2002, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In most cases of excessive and continual overflow from the carb bowl, the culprit is usually a stuck float valve. Remove the bowl from the carb, gently work the float up and down and check the float tang to see if it is closing the spring-loaded valve. If there is any failure to close or open the valve, you can try cleaning the entire interior of the carb with carb cleaner and then blowing it out with compressed air. If this won't solve the problem, you'll need to replace the float valve & seat as a unit.
While you are into the carb you might as well check the float level to make certain it is within spec. You may get the specs from your Honda dealer's service dept if you ask them real nice or better yet, buy a shop manual.