Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

FMF Megamax Exhaust Setup For Recon

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the recon will not be jetted, i want to know how many discs to run with the spark arrestor in order to get a good gain without jetting the engine. Also there is a plate that came in the bag of discs which has only the wholes for the allen screws and is totally solid. Where does this disc go? please help me with this A.S.A.P.

Old 08-22-2002, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

You need to rejet, or you have just wasted your money!! The whole idea of an aftermarket pipe is to get more air through the engine. To keep from rejeting, you have to keep the airflow the same, so what's the point in the aftermarket pipe??? The solid thing is a "quiet core. Again, what's the point in an aftermarket pipe if you are going to run the quiet core???

The air intake (snorkle) in the Recon is quite restrictive. The hole in the end is about the size of a quarter. Plus, the stock air filter insert is also fairly restrictive. Given these restrictive intakes, you might be able to run three or four discs without a rejet, but the performance should be similar to stock. But beware of getting the engine lean, because you can damage your engine!!

On our Recon and 250EX I run 6 discs (no quiet core) and a K&N (and rejet). It isn't terribly loud and the power increase was good.

Old 08-22-2002, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

I might have misunderstood you about the plate. The quiet core is a solid tube with a plate on the end and holes for screws. After reading your post again, I think you are actually refering to the end cap. It goes on the end after the discs. The exhaust comes out the side around the discs, not out the end like some exhausts. This is what makes it a spark arrestor.

Old 08-22-2002, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

no, i understand what you are saying about the encap, it says fmf and spark arrestor model 1000 and all that sh*t. i have that on, with no quiet core insert and discs. there is just a plain piece with no holes in it (except screw holes), what is this? i put it right in front of the spark arrestor piece because i felt it was part of the spark arrestor system. also how can i keep the muffler from seperating from the headpipe because there is no aftermarket clamp, and the stock one will not go tight enough to do ne thing? write back

Old 08-22-2002, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

i took out the quiet core insert and now i am just running the discs and spark arrestor. the spark arrestor was not the flat hole-less piece i wuz referring to earlier, the spark arrestor says things on it like (megamax spark arrestor model 1000). there is another piece with nothing going through it except bolt holes for the screws, i am wondering what this peace is? i put it directly behind the spark arrestor piece. also how do i keep the new muffler from seperating from the headpipe. the stock clamp won't go tight enough to secure it, and there is no aftermarket clamp. so what do i do?

Old 08-22-2002, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

sorry that wuz a re-post

Old 08-23-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

You have me confused!! There isn't a spark arrestor per say (like a screen on straight through pipes) on this. It is spark arrested by the fact that the air has to go out through the discs. You stack on the discs, then the solid end cap, and that is all there is to it. Maybe FMF has done a redesign of the endcap, like they did on the PowerCore IV. I would call their tech service, and talk to them.