Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Some problems with my daughter's Outlaw 90

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
There is nothing wrong with drum brakes, the Honda 250 quad still has drums all round, and heavy trucks. Most problems are caused by not having them set right and maintained, but discs can also suffer from poor maintenance. The set ups with hydraulic parking brakes are also bad engineering. Pressurizing the hydraulic system when parked is not good, which is why the quality Quad makers still use cables for that.
The 250 Honda recons have hydraulic drums. I would imagine a system with hyrdaulic assistance would alleviate the issues on these as well.

I have replaced the shoes and adjusted, adjusted, adjusted. They're as good as they're going to get right now, and I'm very unsatisfied with the amount of force that a small child has to exert to stop the atv.

When going down a steep hill, my child isn't able to go slow enough for me to be comfortable.

I'm not too worried about the parking brake, we don't use it too often. But hopefully I can at least get a decent hydraulic disc to work in the rear.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The brakes should operate with little pressure.
She's using the front brakes along with the rear brake isn't she?
How old/big is your daughter?

Old 01-26-2017, 07:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT80
The brakes should operate with little pressure.
She's using the front brakes along with the rear brake isn't she?
How old/big is your daughter?
She's a big 9. I'm not sure what I could possibly be doing wrong. I'm totally open to suggestions thought. We have 3 outlaw 90s, and the brakes all feel the same after replacement/adjustment.